Wadkin BER 3

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja2_k

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for some advice on how to change the bearings on the above spindle moulder. Has anyone done this or had them changed. I'm wondering how easy it is to change them. Or should I get a professional to change them?
The top bearing is running extremely hot after only 15 to 20 minutes the bottom one doesn't, i have greased them but it doesn't make any difference. There isn't any play in the spindle shaft.
Thanks

I've got curious and looked at the manual (I keep a collection of pdf manuals for several machines that I;ve gathered over time).
According to it, both bearings are the same model (6211) so if one runs hot and the other doesn't thats a bad sign. I'd speculate that if the top bearing does not make
any suspicious noises, then the oil seal could be damaged which would prevent the grease to be kept in place.
Can you try to get the spindle off its housing and take a look at the bearings and seals?

Re bearing replacement: AFAIK larger sizes are difficult to mount into the shaft applying only pressure. a bearing heater is normally used to allow the bearing to be driven without effort. You can also try to put the shaft in the fridge and also heat the bearing. Do a little research on the usual places on the web. Those bearings are not too expensive so it's worth trying to replace them yourself

Thanks for your reply. I took the top off the spindle housing tonight and there seems to be plenty of grease around the bearing. So I cleaned out the old grease and put fresh grease in. I'll se tomorrow how it runs. As you say the bearings are SKF 6211 which I don't mind having a go at changing if someone could tell me the sequence of doing so. The machine was manufactured in 1970 so probably has the original bearings,as I have only had the machine for 2 months I don't know it's history.

I had a Wadkin BER3 and it was a fantastic spindle moulder . I loved it to bits !
I had the same problem , I stripped it down and greased it all back up again and it was as good as the day it was made .

Hi thanks did you actually take the shaft and bearing's out .. And if so does it come out through the top or the bottom?

I can email you a manual for the Wadkin BER 3 spindle moulder If you can let me have your email address.
They should be quite straight forward to change over. Some of the Wadkin spindle moulders require oil lubrication for the bearings and grease damages them! I can't remember off hand what the correct lubricant is for yours, but am sure the manual will get you sorted
Let me know

Thanks have pm'd you
It's definitely grease that lubes the bearing's

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 850
Back