Wadkin AGS10 with a strange lever

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anders K

Reaction score
Hello

I have an old Wadkin AGS10 from 1963 with a fixed riving knife. I'm considering replacing the saw with a newer model, which have a riving knife that travels up and down with the blade.
I have found a newer model which (as shown in the attached pictures) which i consider purchasing. However there are a few things i'm wondering about.
First of all, there is a strange lever next to the height adjustment wheel. Has anybody seen this before? - if so, what is the purpose of this lever?
Next, normally the adjustment wheels for the height and tilt has a sort of locking knob. This doesn't seem to be the case here. Has anybody seen this before?

Thank you in advance, sorry about my poor English :)

Attachments

• AGS10.jpg
    AGS10.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 1,441
  • AGS10-2.jpg
    AGS10-2.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 1,441
No idea, can't see it on either old or new user manuals. Mine is an older style and does not have it. However, I think the one you illustrate is also older style, the fence mechanism certainly is (though the fence itself does not look original) and I think the cabinet might be also. Do check that the riving knife does indeed move up and down with the blade.

Hello,

Mine is a bit of a later model but it has a hand brake lever fitted there.

English is pretty good by the way.

Merlin

Aaah, a manual brake, of course :). Thank you!

The seller has specified, that the riving knife does indeed follow the blade up and down.

Thank you for your help :)

Yes, a manual brake makes sense. I think it must be an after-market addition. It wouldn't satisfy UK regs as the 10 sec stop has to be automatic, but that's only for business use. Looks like a decent saw that has had some customisation done. The orange dust shield is another add-on but a good one I certainly love mine, produces really accurate cuts with good finish. I do have locking knobs, but never use them in fact as it is stable without them.

Good luck!

Keith

The hand wheels aren’t original, neither is the fence micro-adjustment knob but that should not make any difference to the use of the saw. I have a slightly different Wadkin of similar vintage myself and wouldn’t swap it for a more modern, pressed chinesium machine for love nor money!

memzey":2yquefhq said:
The hand wheels aren’t original, neither is the fence micro-adjustment knob but that should not make any difference to the use of the saw. I have a slightly different Wadkin of similar vintage myself and wouldn’t swap it for a more modern, pressed chinesium machine for love nor money!

Damn right! I'd only swa[ it for the slightly later Wadkin with rise/fall riving knife!

If I had an AGS 10 I’d agree with you but in fact I have a BGS 10 - it’s the smallest sliding table, canting spindle dimension saw Wadkin made. My particular machine is complete with the sliding outrigger to the left of the saw and is, I think, the only one of its kind remaining in that configuration. As far as I can tell, none of them came with a rise and fall riving knife and very few were ever made. I recorded a full restoration of it on the Canadian site a couple of years ago but the thread has now been photobucketed :(

Nice one, Memzey. I do have details of a mod to fit a moving riving knife to an older AGS10 (from Ola of this forum) but it's quite a bit of work, not got round to it yet.

Yours sounds cool! But I don't have space for it! I did read your excellent rebuild thread at the time.

Thanks for all your replies.
Sadly the seller has decided to keep the saw, so i might have to stick with my old saw.

MusicMan could you please share the details to fit a riving knife the older model?

Anders K":hi95ggc4 said:
Thanks for all your replies.
Sadly the seller has decided to keep the saw, so i might have to stick with my old saw.

MusicMan could you please share the details to fit a riving knife the older model?

If you pm your email I'll send you Ola's information. He is very open about sharing it.

If you do decide to go that way let me know. It might be sensible to share the effort of making the parts, depending what facilities we each have. There's a reasonable amount of turning/milling involved.

Keith

Is "Anders K" perhaps from sweden? If so, I think Stenbergs equipped the ags saws with that brake.

Speaking about the riving knife, I made a pretty complete instruction (in english) on our swedish forum, a guy from new zeeland also asked me about it and I decided to make it public once and for all. It can be found here https://www.byggahus.se/forum/threads/r ... aw.296339/

ola c":37c4qvi9 said:
Is "Anders K" perhaps from sweden? If so, I think Stenbergs equipped the ags saws with that brake.

Speaking about the riving knife, I made a pretty complete instruction (in english) on our swedish forum, a guy from new zeeland also asked me about it and I decided to make it public once and for all. It can be found here https://www.byggahus.se/forum/threads/r ... aw.296339/

Hello Ola, sorry about my late reply. I'm from Denmark, and i'm pretty sure, that the saw was originally bought in Denmark as well.
I will look into your instruction, thank you for sharing.

Back