Wadkin AGS 10" Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.i.wilson00

Reaction score
I have been lurking here for a while. Found a lot of useful info on my new (to me) table saw. I was wondering if anyone can help me with a part for the saw.

The part I need is numbered 20 on the exploded diagram in the manual. It is the distance piece that fits between the fence mounting bar and the saw. I am not expecting to find spares (but if you have them, I'll buy them from you!!). I was hoping someone may be able to tell me the dimensions of the part? I can then get them made. All I need is the OD and length. I have tried to source from the supplier - no longer stocked! It was made in 1961 so that's understandable.

If anyone has a type 2 fence for this saw, I would be interested in that too.

Now I'm off to browse all the posts on dust extraction for this saw, loads of options :D

Many thanks

Ian

I am away from home today but if nobody else responds in the meantime can measure these tomorrow, if you have the ‘old’ version. You’ll know which manual you have got.

I had to look in the manual for my Wadkin BGP to see what this distance piece is. On my machine the fence bar is held by two short lengths of threaded bar which are screwed tight into the back edge of the fence bar, and has two nuts this side of the table (double locknut) and a single nut on the hidden side of the table.

I renewed both threaded bars when I restored the machine but I didn't put a spacer in. Didn't realise it was supposed to have one. Anyway the gap between back of fence bar and table is 29mm on mine.

There's an advantage in being able to adjust the gap at one end of the fence bar relative to the table, so you can fine tune the back end of the fence to just clear the upcoming blade teeth.

Thanks for this. Easy to do. Need to source the right threaded bar. I could drill out and re-thread the mounting holes instead, already done this on several points where bolts were too far gone to use.

On second thoughts the manual says these bolts are metric, checking...... :D

On my older type Wadkin AGS 10 the fence bars are 32 mm diameter and extend some distance to the right of the machine, which is handy for cutting wide pieces.

The bars are fixed to the machine by Allen-headed cap screws, 3/8 BSW x 1 3/4" (parts 50 and 51 in the "old" manual) with plain cylindrical spacers ("fence bar distance piece") between the fence and body. If you need the dimensions, I can take the fence off to measure these spacers, but the key thing is that the gap between the body and the fence is 7.5 mm. So this is clearly different from GK1's saw.

I can post pics later if you like.

Keith

The BGS10, which is what I think you have got is identical to the old AGS for the spacers. If you measure the fence between the clamping faces (pinch sticks work well) both with the clamp off and the clamp on you can work out the dimension of the spacers needed. The clamp on the fence will adjust, so as long as the two spacers give a distance less than unclamped and slightly more than clamped you will be fine.

May I ask, if you have a copy of the BGS 10 manual, could I get a scanned copy? I’ve looked every where for one, but never found a copy. I just like collecting the old manuals. Daltons used to have a superb library of just about every manual for every machine until they updated their Web site and didn’t include it any more. But short sighted I felt as I used to visit their WEB site regularly out of interest for different machine manuals. Inevitably I’d look at what they had for sale! I’m sure I wasn’t alone.

What makes you think any of the above refers to a BGS10 deema? Can’t spot it myself.

I have a BGS10 and would also like to get a copy of the manual but I’ve been looking for years and haven’t found one. There is a brochure from the late ‘50s early ‘60s on the net but no user manual and no exploded diagram (made my restoration of a few years back much more difficult without it).

Menmsey, your absolutely right, I thought I’d read in the initial post a comment about a sliding table. But I’m clearly mistaken. When I bought my BGS which I subsequently sold it was advertised as an AGS. I used a copy of the BGS12 which is virtually identical when I restored it. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries. The BGS12 has a very different sliding mechanism to the 10 by the way.

Sorry for getting off track, if I recall correctly......and lately I’m beginning to wonder about that! The BGS10 I owned the sliding table had 4 bearing curved rollers that sat around two rails in the horizontal plane. The BGS12 manual I have showed a similar arrangements apart from it being vertical or at an angle. Although not identical I found reading the 12 manual as they used a very similar system made it easy to see what to do on the 10.

Yeah I think that’s about right.

Apologies as well from me for the derailment but there are very few 10” BGS’s out there so always happy to hear from someone else who has or had one. I don’t suppose you have any pictures of yours do you?

Sorry I haven't replied before now. I thought the forum would send me an email when replies are posted, but it doesn't.

Turns out the fence, and bars, are the wrong line for my table!!! H
Mounting hole centres are wrong. I have drilled newnewbies and tapped them (M10). I spent a lot off time working out the correct placement of the bars and arrived at a distance of 6mm gap between bar and table edge. Ordered shims and mounted the bars at 3 mounting points. Now's all fitted and works really well, very satisfied with result.
Thanks for all for the replies.
Now working on dust extraction.
Any ideas, especially photographs, would be gratefully received.
Ian

Latest posts

Back