W H Burrows of Worcester, planemaker?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl P

Established Member
Reaction score
If anyone has a bit of spare time on their hands, just wondered if you could add to the little I know about this plane. It's a 3/4" sidebead I bought a little while ago with a load of other bits and bobs that I've only just got round to looking at.

I've looked online and all I could find was 'W H Burrows planemaker Worcester 19th/early 20th Century), while I'm not renowned for my deductive skills (hence my need to post here!), I had worked that much out for myself. Also, on the makers stamp, there's some kind of widgety doodah thing - any ideas what it is?

Here's a couple of photo's, and thanks if you're able to help,

Cheerio,

Carl

Attachments

• WHBurrows1.JPG
    WHBurrows1.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 584
  • WHBurrows2.JPG
    WHBurrows2.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 584
Hi Carl,

The earliest listing I could find for William Henry Burrows, is as an ironmonger at 36 Lowesmoor, Worcester, in the 1880 trades directory. By 1884, he's listed as an ironmonger at 34 Lowesmoor, Worcester, which listings continue through 1904. By 1908, he's listed as a tool dealer at the same address, which is the latest listing I've found, so far. He seems to have disappeared from the trade listings, as either an ironmonger or tool dealer, by 1912. Hope this helps.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, AR

Thanks for that - sorry for the late reply, problems with connecting to the internet so I've only just been able to read your response - I shall have to investigate further as there are Burrows in my family not very far from there.

Cheerio,

Carl

Back