Votes wanted for Woodwork shop setup funds application

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

In my capacity as chairman of the Calne Men’s Shed I am appealing to all my contacts for support in gaining enough votes to get the application to Aviva for “Tools for Calne Men’s Shed” through to the next phase of adjudication.

I hope you will not take offence at my use of my contact list to ask for your support.
Moderators - I hope this does not contravene posting rules, if so please remove.

With regards to voting for the Shed on the Aviva Foundation website, if you go to our website (http://www.calnemensshed.org ), go to the News page, click anywhere on the Aviva poster, it will take you to a page headed "Tools for Calne Men's Shed". At the top right hand of the page there is a green Log In/Register button. You will need to register (not a particularly user friendly operation as the Aviva site is underpowered). After registration you get to vote (up to 10 votes per person). You can also register/login via facebook.

Please pass this on to as many friends/family/contacts as you like.

This could make a huge difference to our attempts to set up woodworking facilities in our new Shed.

Regards and thanks,

Mike

Mike Crawshaw
Chairman Calne Men’s Shed
Calne
Wilts
UK

10 more from me , wish you well in getting enough votes for such a great way to help others enjoy Woodwork.

Wellll.... This is embarrassing... I went on the Aviva site with a rousing cheer in my heart. Men! Sheds! I'm a man! I have a shed!
Then I saw the appeal for Pit Ponies.
Sorry to say I crumbled. I read a story about a pit pony when I was a young kid and it brought back all those memories. A noble animal confined and chained, desperately struggling with heavy loads in the darkness underground to sate mans greedy need for fossil fuel. As time went on and Bill struggled to survive he eventually went blind and the miners were forced to eat him when a cave in stopped all supplies of pasties getting through. So I had to give all my votes to The Fotherington-Vossey Gymkhana School For Over Privileged Chubby Girls Called Portia And Suchlike Appeal.
Not strictly pit ponies. As Such. But pretty close and very worthy I'm sure you'll agree. Hoorah.

Sorry Mike.

Kidding of course. 10 votes.
Good luck with it all, not just the vote. Joking aside, I think you're involved with a truly great and aspirational project with an unheard part of society that gets far too little coverage.
All the best
Chris

I just tried to vote, but it says there's too much voting traffic and suggests trying again later, I guess that's the democratic power of UK Workshop right there!

Sorry mike, I don't know if votes from outside UK count, but when I just tried, I got the same result as custard (above) - "too busy".

I'll try again and see what happens tomorrow morning, when all you workers are at work. :D

P.S. I've known about the Mens' Shed movement for a while, and I think it's a great idea (as far as I know, there are none here in Switzerland, and good idea as it is, I'm not going to try and start one here):

P.S. 2: BUT I'm 72 and although I hope to have AT LEAST 10 more productive years in my own "shed", having no one at all to leave all my tools and machines to (nothing special, except perhaps for an Ex 21 Scroll Saw which is pretty good) I wonder how one goes about bequeathing stuff to the organisation? I did look on the main Mens' Shed web site some time ago, found nothing, so haven't (as yet) taken it further. But the idea is still at the back of my mind, so if you get your own show on the road, I wonder if you will have any advice on that subject for me - BUT as I say, I HOPE that time will not come for quite a while yet! So don't rush to answer :D

AES

AES

I wonder how one goes about bequeathing stuff to the organisation?

What a good idea - I've an old Stanley 803 .... :D

Seriously, I've probably several thousand quids worth of tools (if they had to bought new) that I would rather give to people who used them than have my family sell them to a dealer for a couple of hundred quid.

Thank you all for your support. It is very much appreciated despite the difficulty of accessing the Aviva site (one of the worst I have come across).

On the subject of bequeathing tools etc one of our Calne members is on the national Men's Shed UK executive. There is an AGM in November so I will try and table this for discussion. I may be in the same position myself.

Regards,

Mike

10 votes from me.

Aviva site is incredibly underpowered. Trying to register ( when I got that far) was rejected as site too busy. BUT try reghistering via your facebook account and it works immediately.

Al

Thanks for the offer of having the subject of bequeathing tools raised at your AGM mike. My reasoning is exactly as per phil.p's above. Only difference is that in my case, the logistics of collecting my gear from Switzerland (a small van would be necessary I think) may be a problem for the organisation.

Re voting, I've been trying to register so I too can vote. Comes up as "sorry, too busy" all the time. I'll keep trying 'cos IMO, it IS a good cause.

Re registering via Facebook, sorry, I don't have an account, don't know how to get one, and don't want one anyway! Ditto twitter. Yup, "Luddite" me!

OK, off topic - both pro and anti camps do seem to agree that Trump got elected largely as a result of his social media activity (Facebook, Twitter, etc). That alone is, for me, sufficient reason not to want to participate in any way myself. As said, off topic - good luck with your funds application (whether I get on to the Aviva site or not).

AES

Sorry mike, but I've tried this morning "many, many" times and so far I can't even register - always the same "sorry" message.

I'll keep trying, but I wonder if Aviva "knows" I'm a Swiss E-mail address/URL, and just won't let me in for that reason? Is there any way you can check that please?

Meantime I'll keep trying.

AES

Don't think its anything other than an appalling setup.

You would think that a company as large as Aviva would have a site fit for purpose.

Thanks for all your efforts, its really appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

AES":102dwmhy said:
Thanks for the offer of having the subject of bequeathing tools raised at your AGM mike. My reasoning is exactly as per phil.p's above. Only difference is that in my case, the logistics of collecting my gear from Switzerland (a small van would be necessary I think) may be a problem for the organisation.

Re voting, I've been trying to register so I too can vote. Comes up as "sorry, too busy" all the time. I'll keep trying 'cos IMO, it IS a good cause.

Re registering via Facebook, sorry, I don't have an account, don't know how to get one, and don't want one anyway! Ditto twitter. Yup, "Luddite" me!

OK, off topic - both pro and anti camps do seem to agree that Trump got elected largely as a result of his social media activity (Facebook, Twitter, etc). That alone is, for me, sufficient reason not to want to participate in any way myself. As said, off topic - good luck with your funds application (whether I get on to the Aviva site or not).

AES

I logged in with facearse no problem. But I hate the thing. The wife made an account for me so she could manage a page for the charity we are involved with. When she retires from her voluntry fundraising role at Chrisrmas I will be trying to deactivate my account. And as for Twatter :evil: carn't see the point

Back