Shed/workshop compromises, please help!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AES":37r6iewu said:
Thanks to the OP for this link. As phil.p has said in today's post "something for everyone" here.

Most useful, (Imperial and Metric too!), bookmarked, thanks.

AES

Yea found it really usefull for planing my birdsmouths, looked on youtube and every video describing how to do it was so convuluted, that bricklayer.com made it really easy.

Used the blocklayer site for years when i was a jobbing joiner. Had it on my tablet and it was a simple task to work out a cut roof with it. Not used it for a while now and just had a look to see many new features on there. Very useful site.

Hi, I have completed three workshops, 18mm 0SB is fine for floors on a 16 inch joist spacing, go for the 2' x 8' with
T and g edges then you won't need noggins under the joints, someone commented that it didn't look very nice I disagree, if you can get a couple of coats of polyurethane floor varnish on it before you walk all over it too much it will look great.
Loft insolation is good in the walls don't recommend it under the floor as it's useless when wet you need something like King span. Would recommend beef up wall timbers to 4 inch that extra insulation in the walls and at least 12 inches in the roof means that you can keep it to a nice 12 /14 degrees in the winter with an oil filled radiator and it will cost next to nothing to heat.
Somebody mentioned using UPVC window frames, this is a good idea and if you want to save money go and see a window firm and snaffle some of the secondhand stuff they take out, you might even be able to get a door and a frame.
Think about where your bench is going,( I always prefer mine fastened to the walls it doesn't move then ) and put in a horizontal batten at the right height to fasten to later, coach screws are useful for this sort of job.
When you are making the walls build them up flat on the ground it's much easier and then move them into position and coach screw to the floor joists . This sort of project is fun, hope you enjoy it . Ian

Finally got the floor down. Been very slow progress with the wet weather and getting few hours here and there.

I have insulated under the floor with 100mm of general purpose attic insulation, had to save money here and there so this will do for now.

The floor is 18mm tongue and groove p5 moisture resistant, screwed to the joists. It's fairly solid under foot and no bowing etc.. pretty happy with it. Left bit of an expansion gap and will fill with silicone in due course.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 431
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 432
With the size of shed and it been within a meter of the boundary I had to move the left wall in to be within regulations regarding the roof height, also while doing this I decided I wanted a deck at the front, so I moved the front wall back. So the plan now is to build a sitting deck to the side and front, the side deck will be storage and the front will be a nice place to relax in summer with a cold beer!

GREAT idea (but it would be wine for me - personally, I can't stand beer - each to 'is own though.

RAIN?????? Here (NW Switzerland) we've had very little since last October, and all the farmers are moaning about "it's too dry" (mind you, they're always moaning about something here)! Had some rain yesterday (about 6 drops - twice) then it rained properly for about an hour. This morning? Dry as a bone!

I think the best idea is for you to dismantle what you've already done, bring it over here to finish it off - I've got a good place for it in the garden, and you can stay overnight while you finish it! I could do with the extra space to add to the cellar :D :D And they say Swiss beer is pretty good too (dunno myself).

Seriously, looking good.

AES

Sorry not been putting up progress pics, the extension on house has begun so I have the shed almost done bar the roof cladding, windows :D

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 240
I am pleased with it so far, progress has been very slow due to the horrid summer here in Edinburgh that and getting little time to work on it. It's watertight and have put in my workbench, some nice shelving. The pvc Windows coming out of the house I plan to reuse use in the shed as the main extension progresses. Think I can get the roof epdm on for less than £200 from trialling the internet.

Latest posts

Back