Voip / cloud phone.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
Hello guys. It's been a while but things are looking up.

In a couple of months I should be moving to a nice new workshop. That's new to me but very far from new really.

There's loads to be done when I get there but even before then I need to sort communication..

Problem 1. It is on a different exchange so I cannot take my long established phone number with me.

Problem 2 the broadband connection leaves a lot to be desired.

But I have recently discovered that is possible to move my landline number to "the cloud" and, so they tell me, take it anywhere in the country with me.

It's all new to me, but I am under the impression that I may be able to set up a mobile data router and use my pc and a small pbx system say two or three extensions off that.

Wanting to keep it as low cost as possible.

All help gratefully received.

At work we have what I believe is known as a pocket landline. We retained our old landline number but all calls come through to our mobile phones. It can work on a number of mobiles. If my colleague, who deals mainly with sales, doesn't answer, or is already engaged, it rings on mine. If I don't answer it goes to our accounts lady so she can take details for us to call back.

If you are with BT you don't need a cloud phone.

We kept our old number when we moved and it became Voip which became cloud at the end of last year.

They can redirect you old number through the cloud to ring in on your new land line one.

So even if you have a broadband connection which is not good, it won't matter as it will be coming through the landline.

This is a confusing thread. VOIP is voice over internet protocol. It works via a broadband connection and if there is weak internet VOIP calls will be patchy.

Landline numbers can be routed to anywhere, including mobile phones, other landlines or VOIP. VOIP systems allow ring groups to be set up easily, though for a small business an answerphone or routing to mobile should be fine.

In my set up at home, with multiple buildings and a workshop some distance from the house, I have landlines, business VOIP connection to my London office, broadband, 4g broadband, and mobiles. They all have pro's and cons.

In your shoes I would check the mobile signal, then probably get a decent 4G hub and possibly a booster aerial if needed. This would give a telecoms and internet solution and is simple.

It is cheaper to make your old number the cloud one and have the number rerouted through the cloud than a straight landline to landline redirect.

I guess it is really how you want to use the number .

Are you doing this so you don't lose customers when they call the old number and then are going to start giving your new number out.

If the is the case divert it through the cloud, ( I did and I found that within about 6 months 90% of the calls were to the new number anyway) now 4 years late we get maybe 1 a month.

If you want to carry on using the number as the marketing one as well, then I guess that you want something along the line of AJB Temples suggestion

AJB Temple":15gejc23 said:
In your shoes I would check the mobile signal, then probably get a decent 4G hub and possibly a booster aerial if needed. This would give a telecoms and internet solution and is simple.

That's what I been thinking but I am green, I only heard of a cloud phone less than a week ago, and talking to sellers is a waste of time they just want to sell something, anything, whether it good for me or not. Do you know if it's possible to run my PC and a small pbx maybe 2 or 3 extensions, off a 4g hub, If possible that would more or less solve my situation.

whiskywill":15gejc23 said:
At work we have what I believe is known as a pocket landline. We retained our old landline number but all calls come through to our mobile phones. It can work on a number of mobiles. If my colleague, who deals mainly with sales, doesn't answer, or is already engaged, it rings on mine. If I don't answer it goes to our accounts lady so she can take details for us to call back.

I will definitely look at that

tomatwark":15gejc23 said:
Are you doing this so you don't lose customers when they call the old number and then are going to start giving your new number out.

If the is the case divert it through the cloud, ( I did and I found that within about 6 months 90% of the calls were to the new number anyway) now 4 years late we get maybe 1 a month.

If you want to carry on using the number as the marketing one as well, then I guess that you want something along the line of AJB Temples suggestion

That's a very good question. I get a lot of repeat business, which I don't want to lose.

I'm undecided whether to future proof myself and stick with the old / cloud number or phase it out.

It wouldn't take many sales annually to justify keeping it.

You will be surprised how quickly folks start using the new number.

That said I still keep my old one diverted after 4 years, as I still get the odd customer from the dim and distant past who will call out of the blue.

I would start to market with the new number anyway as you are changing your address after all, so most customers will expect the number to change and you are going to have to tell them you have moved anyway.

artie":vjp7rt2f said:
Do you know if it's possible to run my PC and a small pbx maybe 2 or 3 extensions, off a 4g hub, If possible that would more or less solve my situation.

Asterisk PBX ( or any of the sub-variants freepbx etc) would solve your local pbx issue, MikroTik wAP LTE or (better) MikroTik SXT LTE Kit your 4g issue and any SIP trunk provider that you can port your number to - but you're going to need a bit of knowledge to do it. How computer literate are you? What volume of data are you expecting to use (look at tethering mobile plans) ? Is this going to end up being your primary Internet and voice connection ?

Worst case you could look at someone like Vonage - port your number to them, plug a decent DECT base station into their box and for local in house use the DECT -> DECT part. Look for handsets that will allow you to transfer external calls to another handset.

Also look at Seimens Gigaset with an IP base station something like Gigaset-N300 IP / Gigaset N510 IP and link it with a VOIP provider you can port your number to..

ScaredyCat":2jjqlwvt said:
artie":2jjqlwvt said:
Do you know if it's possible to run my PC and a small pbx maybe 2 or 3 extensions, off a 4g hub, If possible that would more or less solve my situation.

Asterisk PBX ( or any of the sub-variants freepbx etc) would solve your local pbx issue, MikroTik wAP LTE or (better) MikroTik SXT LTE Kit your 4g issue and any SIP trunk provider that you can port your number to - but you're going to need a bit of knowledge to do it. How computer literate are you? What volume of data are you expecting to use (look at tethering mobile plans) ? Is this going to end up being your primary Internet and voice connection ?

Worst case you could look at someone like Vonage - port your number to them, plug a decent DECT base station into their box and for local in house use the DECT -> DECT part. Look for handsets that will allow you to transfer external calls to another handset.

Also look at Seimens Gigaset with an IP base station something like Gigaset-N300 IP / Gigaset N510 IP and link it with a VOIP provider you can port your number to..

I'll have to read that a few times and digest it.
I am a one man band, I do everything myself, and I make just enough to keep me alive . But seriously I need to keep everything simple and cost effective.

On the plus side I am pretty computer savvy and not scared to jump in.

ScaredyCat":1erp8mfd said:
Is this going to end up being your primary Internet and voice connection ?

Yes I intend to access the internet and phone from the 4g hub, if it works out.

Why not try out various sip providers (temporarily) with a new nbr and an Android client, to see how voice quality fares with 4G.

If it goes well, then port your existing nbr to the sip providers.

I've had a few clients do the same and are happy enough with the service.

HIH

Dibs

Dibs-h":1r1khn7p said:
Why not try out various sip providers (temporarily) with a new nbr and an Android client, to see how voice quality fares with 4G.

If it goes well, then port your existing nbr to the sip providers.

I've had a few clients do the same and are happy enough with the service.

HIH

Dibs

That's a good idea.

I've taken a months trial with virtual landline. I must say, though I've only been using it a few hours, it exceeds all my expectations.

I'm tempted to go for a 4g router now. The ones suggested earlier in the thread might be a bit complicated to set up.

I wonder is it possible to get a 4g router that the wifi can be switched off and a cable used. Or even cable only.
I really don't want to be microwaved all day, even at low power.

artie":1ly1zy9u said:

I'm using a 4G router now on the boat. This PC is connected, 2 tablets and smartphones will also connect. Skype may be an option for you as anyone can phone your Skype no. Have no idea about pbx though, maybe Google can be your friend for info. Problem in the UK though is lack of 4G coverage in many areas, where we live (when there) we're lucky to get 3G with Vodafone.

GrahamF":13w7ozsx said:
artie":13w7ozsx said:

I'm using a 4G router now on the boat. This PC is connected, 2 tablets and smartphones will also connect. Skype may be an option for you as anyone can phone your Skype no. Have no idea about pbx though, maybe Google can be your friend for info. Problem in the UK though is lack of 4G coverage in many areas, where we live (when there) we're lucky to get 3G with Vodafone.

That's the kind of info I been looking for. Is the PC connected by Ethernet cable or wifi. ? I take it the tablets and smartphones use the wifi.

Pretty sure I have solved the phone number issue, with a virtual land line.

It's a mobile router, internal battery (1/2hr) 12v or mains, connects by wifi. Don't know if there's a limit on connections, we've never had more than 4 at one time. You can buy routers locked to a network or, unlocked for any sim.

GrahamF":2lk4yr24 said:
It's a mobile router, internal battery (1/2hr) 12v or mains, connects by wifi. Don't know if there's a limit on connections, we've never had more than 4 at one time. You can buy routers locked to a network or, unlocked for any sim.
For some reason I never saw this answer to today. Thank you very much for the info.

I'm going to have to do something soon, I'm scheduled to loose my land line around the 18th.

So just in case it helps anyone out. My land line and broadband connection terminated around lunch time today.

My land line is now ported and diverts to my mobile.

I connected a 4g router which with only two signal bars showing is giving me faster net than my landline was.

Not wanting to count my chickens, but it seems to have worked out ok.

Latest posts

Back