Video of Axminster AT1416VS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian_in_the_midlands

Established Member
Reaction score
YouTube is a great resource.
No matter what you want to learn about there is a video about it on there.... except for the Axminster AT1416VS lathe.

I can't find anyone using one.
Are they not as popular as this forum would have me believe?

In comparison to the USA and the rest of the world UK Axminster stuff is a small area of the market, which probably explains what you aren't seeing on YouTube.

woodpig":3aqj7xft said:

Similar shape, but different spec. That one is is 1hp.
It is heavier too. Maybe the larger motor?

It is strange there are no videos of the AT1416VS lathe, as I can find plenty of both the hobby range and the larger trade 1628 from Axminster.

Yes, they're both 1 HP.

Axminster also say: NB. The distance between centres will vary and be dependent on the type of centres or accessories used. This probably accounts for the apparent difference in spec.

Ah, so it is.

Give Glynne a pm I'm sure he's got the 1416 and jay not be too far from you.

I'm not sure how long the AT1416VS has been around. The early ones were white and I've seen quite a few demonstrators using them at shows that look well used. My wood turning club also has one for demos. It does have a good feature set including a 14" swing, larger than any lathe in its class. It also has a three phase motor with invertor drive, also not seen on similar size lathes. The M33 spindle nose and MT2 bore is also very useful although some other midi lathes now also come with a similar spec. One feature I find particularly useful is that the tail stock has a round key to hold it to the bed and with an open design it is very easy to remove the tail stock one handed. Mines very quiet and smooth running and is a pleasure to use. Videos are useful but I would advise anyone contemplating buying a lathe to actually have a good look at one in person. In the case of the AT1416VS you can compare it to Axminsters other offerings as well as some of the jet range if you can make it to an Axminster store.

Heres a review. But don't look at the price, it was some time back!

http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/woo ... 6vs-lathe/

There are posts on this forum from 2 1/2 years ago when I was considering this lathe.
I decided then that it was too much money for the turning I do.

Now it has gone up in price I am looking at it again :roll:

The difference now is that I have sold my M900 and am without a lathe.

I need to take a trip to Axminster, and may decide the hobby range is good enough, but I keep being drawn back to the AT1416VS.

My club has an AT1416VS and it is used most meetings for demos. It is very quiet and runs really smoothly. It just exudes quality. My good friend Woodpig also has one and he's very happy with it. (edit... his post appeared while I was writing this)

I went for the AT1628VS mainly because I needed a swivelling headstock. The way my workshop is laid out my lathe needs to be quite close to a wall so I needed to be able to swing the headstock to use long handled tools on the inside of bowls without banging the ends into the wall.

If I was starting from scratch with a focus on wood turning I'd lay out my workshop around the lathe and site it in the middle. An AT1416VS would be just the job then.

(Having said that, I'm besotted with the AT1628VS - it's bl**dy brilliant and worth the arm, leg and kidney I had to sell off to afford one :p )

I had an Axminster Perform lathe very similar to the M900. The AT1416VS is as you would expect by the price, in a different league.

How does the hobby range of today compare with the white M900?
I guess the hobby range is comparable with the perform, and the white range was somewhere between the hobby any the trade range.
(I suspect closer to hobby than trade, although my M900 never caused me any issues over 8 years).

The AT1416 was my first lathe and I loved it. As others have mentioned it is quiet and the variable speed very handy to have, also the reverse. I bought it when it was £750 list price and Axminster had a 10% offer on. Replaced it with a Killinger KM1450SE at a time when we in the UK could deal direct with them in Germany... don't think that's possible any longer and the price of that will have rocketed too!

I was lucky when I got mine. I think the proper price was £700 but I got it when it was on discount, think I paid £650 for it.

I have this lathe and as others have said it is class, very quiet. It is tight to get a 16" spindle between centers but is possible. The largest thing I have turned on it is a 12"x4" Iroko bowl and not a problem.

I visited Axminster in Nuneaton today to look at these lathes.
Comparing the Jet 1221vs against the Axminster AT1416, it is a close race but for me I think the Jet wins.
This surprised me. I wasn't expecting that.
They both have their merits; both are quiet.
A lot is said about the torque of the 1416 at low speed, but I could not stall the jet at low speed.
I would have liked the larger capacity above the bed, but the increased distance between centres will be useful.
The jet looked more robust, although I would have liked to see a 1" stem on the tool rest. £200 cheaper too.

As usual the staff at Axminster were very patient and helpful - even though I made it clear that I would not be buying the lathe today.

Right - Now I have the measurements, it is time to make a cabinet to stand it on.

Latest posts

Back