VICES - pattern makers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not me, but MarcFish has one and rates it. It is the one from Axminster although he has tarted his up somewhat.

Jim

As a Patternmaker in the Harland Works (Weir Pumps) in Alloa, we used to have about 22 no. Wadkin Patternmaker's vices, they took a large mouth out of the front skirt of the benches to fit in, I don't remember if they sat flush or proud. You could spin the vice 180 degrees for metalwork jaws, tilt and yaw it in any direction and taper set the jaws, this allowed any object with flat opposing sides to be griped at any angle to work on. The strange thing was that mostly they were just used in the standard setting i.e. as any normal woodwork vice...bosshogg :)

I have been tempted to buy one of the Chinese Axminster versions (which is what Marc has) but, if I were to stumble across a nice to Wadkin, the temptation might just be irresistible.

Jim

The Wadkin vice looks like the Oliver design - there were links between the two firms.I bought the AMT vice (taiwan clone) during a big job but was too busy to fit it (it's still in the box somewhere) we made do with the normal face, shoulder and tail vices as well as engineering vices like the huge Record 36 and tiny Pananvise
There is a good article in Fine Woodworking August 1995 if you can track it down.The www.Mprime.com site is an interesting read.
Matt

I've got one of the Axminster ones on back order (they can't say when it'll be delivered).

I'm not starting to build this bench until the end of 2012 when I move into my new workshop, but having seen the way Veritas discontinued their pattern maker's vice I thought I'd get it now in case it suddenly becomes unavailable! I'm planning a Roubo style front vice from Benchcrafted

http://benchcrafted.com/

and a patternmaker's end vice. I'll also have a second, shorter bench alongside with a 24" Lie Nielsen chain driven vice

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1480

The main bench will be similar to the David Charlesworth style, with a 16" solid wood front section, a 4" slide-out tool well, and an 8" solid wood back section. The secondary bench is also 28" deep, but with an MDF/ply top without a tool well.

I've yet to decide on the timber for the main bench top. David Charlesworth used doussie/afzelia for extreme stability, a route I'd also like to go. But so far I can't find a source. Padauk is equally stable, and widely available in 3" and 4" thickness, but the deep red/dark brown colour isn't to my taste. I thought about bleached padauk, but then I'd have to re-bleach every time I skimmed the top flat. If all else fails
I'll probably use hard maple, which is a step up the stability ladder from beech, but still no where near some of the extremely stable tropical timbers.

yetloh":p8mv3i6q said:
Not me, but MarcFish has one and rates it. It is the one from Axminster although he has tarted his up somewhat.

Jim

The pattern makers one Marc Fish has is the Veritas, the twin screw he has on the front is the Axminster.

J

Axminster seems to have their pattern maker's vices back in stock as mine arrived yesterday. Looks nicely cast and machined, better quality finish than I was expecting.

jasonB":1e729ce5 said:
yetloh":1e729ce5 said:

Jim

The pattern makers one Marc Fish has is the Veritas, the twin screw he has on the front is the Axminster.

J

My recollection of what he told me when I was in his workshop is the other way round. I may have misunderstood but I don't think so.

Jim

Gentlemen please ! The supplier of the Tucker (pattern makers) vice was Veritas, and the twin screw vice was Axminster

Yep thats as I said and also whats in his article in F&C a couple of months back

Back