Vice Lining

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbartlett99

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning All

Looking for a spot of advice on suede to line my vice with - not something I know much about. It needs to be large - 45 cm x 15 cm (twin screw jobby) but what thickness etc - ebay has loads but it all seems rather nice stuff for jackets etc. Comed to think of it what animal?

Cheers

I tried lining my vice with leather, in the end I took it off because you get bits of wood sticking to it and sawdust and then they make an imprint into the wood you are working on especially with softwood, if the leather is too thin it'll stretch and end up ripping, it does give a nice grip though but it was quite high maintenance.

Normal cowhide, thickness 2-3mm? I currently have the shiny side outwards but thinking the softer rough side maybe better outside.

John

I've never lined one but I changed my m.o. last time I renewed the woodwork. I always used offcuts of the hardest thing I had to hand, but changed my mind and used the softest piece of spruce I had. I doesn't damage anything as it's so much softer, and I'll just renew it more frequently.

Hmmm thanks all - hadn't thought of stuff sticking/marking.

Jaw is a massive lump of maple so its as hard as nails and quite slippery really.

Like the idea of cork that might work nicely

That's neat sawdust. Like that enough to push the button.
I use some cheapo magnetic rubber soft jaws on my engineering vice similar to these...

UmfXSWG.jpg

They are ok but no, actually they are not really. They fall off. All the bloody time. Normally exactly when you could least do with fishing round on the floor because you didn't quite turn the belt sander off because you can juuuuust reach it with your toe if you streeeech and you have your work at just the right angle and all the while you're thinking of those old 70's government health and safety warning broadcasts about some poor lad getting fried on a train track cos he's rushing home for his chip butty on his chopper while flying a kite into pylons and injecting heroin into his eyeball. Or wearing double denim. :shock:
The rubber pads slip and deform and generally fail. I end up using a leather sheet as well (homer) because the rubber holds fillings which scratch my work but the leather on it's own is not man enough and I don't want to be glueing leather to my vice jaws. Mental. The holes we dig.
Anyway. Phew. Take a breath.
Just bought some sticky back cork. One of these days I'll realise I live in 2018.
Cheers now.
Chris

My God! I nearly forgot to tell you!
While googling a pic to show my magnetic vice jaw faces, I stumbled across magnetic rubber. Purely By Chance.
I know right!
Take a moment to take that in.
Magnetic Rubber.
It seems the days of the Xmen are finally upon us and mutants are going into business for themselves. Next thing you know Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart will be battling the merciless Abel Magneto as the world collapses into ruin.

http://www.abelmagnets.com/magnetic-she ... -pack-of-2

Shut the Front Door!

Magnetic Rubber!
:shock:
WTF Science!?

What next? :| Planes that can fly! Boats that can go on water? Cows you can actually eat? Who knows what the future holds? It's sure to be magical whatever happens.
*gasps*

AndyT":12j0nwfh said:
No direct experience but Matthew at Workshop Heaven sells suitable leather for the purpose.

https://www.workshopheaven.com/general- ... ather.html
I’ve used Matthew’s leather to line my vice jaws, it works really well. There is the chance that dust and small pieces can stick to it but a quick brush sorts that. When you think about it, you make sure you’re not putting a workpiece onto dust and debris on your bench so why wouldn’t you check your vice in the same way?

Bm101":netj6ozq said:
That's neat sawdust. Like that enough to push the button.
I use some cheapo magnetic rubber soft jaws on my engineering vice similar to these...

UmfXSWG.jpg

They are ok but no, actually they are not really. They fall off. All the bloody time. Normally exactly when you could least do with fishing round on the floor because you didn't quite turn the belt sander off because you can juuuuust reach it with your toe if you streeeech and you have your work at just the right angle and all the while you're thinking of those old 70's government health and safety warning broadcasts about some poor lad getting fried on a train track cos he's rushing home for his chip butty on his chopper while flying a kite into pylons and injecting heroin into his eyeball. Or wearing double denim. :shock:
The rubber pads slip and deform and generally fail. I end up using a leather sheet as well (homer) because the rubber holds fillings which scratch my work but the leather on it's own is not man enough and I don't want to be glueing leather to my vice jaws. Mental. The holes we dig.
Anyway. Phew. Take a breath.
Just bought some sticky back cork. One of these days I'll realise I live in 2018.
Cheers now.
Chris

:lol: =D>

Chris..... man, you gotta be more spacialy aware.
How old were you when you first opened a fridge door?
How old were you when you first closed a fridge door?
How old will you be before you wonder why the fridge door stays closed? :roll:
noooo,,, is aint the cooling of the air compressing inside and therefore making a mini vaccum press.

I was ripping out magnetic rubber from fridge door seals well over 50 years ago (once a vandal, always a vandal). #-o #-o
I use magnetic ali jaw protectors from axminster, work quite well except when trying to hold metal rod horizontal across the top, then they pop up like jam tarts in a toaster.

On the big vice I just use plywood. 3 years in and I havent marked any wood yet with them.

My magnetic pads spend more time on the floor than in the bloody vice. Axminster trade vice is damn good value though - £69 and I've paid triple that and got worse.

Glynne":40vyn3b1 said:
There is the chance that dust and small pieces can stick to it but a quick brush sorts that.
^ This.
I use a scrap of 2.6mm suede and just give it a good slapdown with a cheapy 2" paintbrush. Gets rid of every bit of sawdust.

sunnybob":3142aj9x said:
Chris..... man, you gotta be more spacialy aware.
How old were you when you first opened a fridge door?
How old were you when you first closed a fridge door?
How old will you be before you wonder why the fridge door stays closed? :roll:
noooo,,, is aint the cooling of the air compressing inside and therefore making a mini vaccum press.

I was ripping out magnetic rubber from fridge door seals well over 50 years ago (once a vandal, always a vandal). #-o #-o
I use magnetic ali jaw protectors from axminster, work quite well except when trying to hold metal rod horizontal across the top, then they pop up like jam tarts in a toaster.
Fair point Bob. I'm mostly pretty savvy (well there's a whole book on Relative Terms waiting to be written right there), but I freely admit I en't the brightest bear in the woods when it comes to magnetic rubber. *gasps in awe against my better judgement nowadays* Witchcraft! Git them pitchforks folks! Science!!! :shock: *Maybe we just burn their feet to make sure?"
Now you come to mention it though... it's bloody everywhere isn't it? Magnetic trims on cars and road signs and stuff. I literally just never thought of it.
Quick aside. I remember some bloke showing me pignuts once. (Stop sniggering at the back. Jesus). Look, free food for when you are hard up he told me at the time. Or just interested and hungry. And I realised there was just this treasure trove of plant life that I hadn't recognised in the landscape as there simply because I hadn't the knowledge to identify it. It was quite literally growing ALL round me for free along with a thousand others if just had the knowledge to take advantage. And at some later point I mentioned it to my Dad and he was casually 'Yeh, pignuts, we used to grub them up as kids all the time'. And I delved a bit deeper and hedgerow food and all the names came up and this huge knowledge that would have been just normal life and survival for most people at one point and in a couple of generations it's gone. Forever. And I suppose its all a bit trendy now. Middle class Telegraph Sunday supplement level trendy.A bit trendy. Not like Kanye Wests new trainer range mind. And people do it because they can now not 'cos they have too. My Dad's Dad inhabited an entirely different world. Just 3 generations from the Whaling ship to the nintendo. I play with my lad because I want to keep him involved and happy.
Well rubber magnets are like that for me Bob.
They are all around. So are capacitor switches, and gyroscopes and nuclear submarines. I don't have any idea how any of that sh*t works either tbh. :wink:
As another tiny aside I got a lot of my Spacial Awareness from another wild plant that used to grow freely on closely sheep clipped grass fields of the North Wales Mountains early every Autumn Bob. 8) Early morning walks. Good for the soul when you are young and free and know where to look.
On the other hand, I learned my Spatial Awareness from Mr Lee. And growing up in South London on my toes. :D I got the stories to prove it. :D
We do what we know. The extra footstep takes extra effort.

[youtube]LH1GFaw09hk[/youtube]

Chris, you stay away from those sheep droppings, i know one lad who nearly didnt come out the other side.

Sarf Lunnen? Cor, I remember that place. Born a 100 yards from the river, back in the days when if you fell in it was an emergency stomach pump and three days of antibiotics in a hospital bed if you wanted to see next week. They got FISH in it now. That is a wonder of the world.

Bm101":3jix5fer said:
And people do it because they can now not 'cos they have to.
I can fight with sword, quarterstaff, spear, threshalls, flails, cudgel and barefist. People used to do that because they had to, whereas now they do it for fun... times change and the old ways of life aren't always the best.
I build my own (and other people's) overclocked, watercooled gaming computers, and yet my dad-in-law knows far more about Nintendo, tablets and downloading movies that I do... and my Grandmother knows more about playing Scrabbles games on Facebook with people around the world!!

Back