Vice jaws (again)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a large record quick release vice (maybe a 52e, can't remember off hand), and want to see if I can mount it to a bench that is a steel and timber mix that has a top that's around 110mm thick.

Question is how tall can I make the wooden vice jaws before the vice grip begins to suffer?

I can't remove material to mortise the vice into the bench but I can add stuff where's needed to make it a good fit.

If the height of the jaws required to do this is too much then I'll save it for another bench in another lifetime :D

Cheers

NS
Have a look and see which model it is
Does it have strengthening gussets like this ?

hh

No it doesn't, just had a look and I'm wrong it's a 52 1/2.

It looks as if I'd need 20 odd mm past the top of the jaws to be level with the top of the bench, that doesn't seem too much of a stretch for such a lump of vice ???

20mm above the jaws? That should work fine with something like 3/4" to 1" thick liner - some people deliberately place the metal jaws about 1/2 to 1" below the work surface so that they can overlap the top of the metal jaws with the liner, helps protect sharp metal tools:

Record-Vice-Fitting-_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back