Very small silver/chrome/stainless box hinges - source

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayak23

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am making some small jewellery boxes in Ebony and Ash which have a silver inlay into the top.

I am trying to source some very small hinges in a similar coloured material which I could use or modify.

A flat plated hinge without holes would be ideal as I could then drill and pin where I wanted bearing in mind my box sides are only 7mm thick.

I have tried to get brass hinges small enough from the likes of Rutlands etc but usually find that they are in fact brass-plated steel which can't be silver plated apparently.

A piano hinge in silver/chrome with a small open-width would work as I could cut it down.

Anyone have any ideas or sources?
Thanks very much.
OL

Have you tried hafelle, woodfit, iisac lord etc.
A good plating company will be able to strip and replate any hingges, but it wiil be dear compared to buying the correct type to start with.

Well I'm not an expert but I believe that steel can be chrome plated but not silver plated....

I would LOVE to buy the hinges ready made, but it seems that the cabinetmaking world only likes to use brass finish hardware.
Silver/stainless finish in anything smaller than about a 1" hinge is very hard to find (so hard that I haven't found any yet...)

Pretty sure Hafele don't venture that small and Isaac Lords seem to just have smallish brass ones.
Thanks for the reply.

Try arts and craft shops or Model shops.

Another source might be Clock spare/parts shop?

These do all sots for trinket boxe ect,ect

I think Tom (Wizer) managed to get some decent SS hinges from Brusso a while ago...might be worth a PM. Boxes made in ebony, ash and silver are worthy of decent high quality hinges...I don't think hobby shop stuff is going to cut the mustard - Rob

Yes its true, I do need them to be of a good quality but frankly, nobody makes what I need it seems. Brusso make this one below but its not small enough for a 7mm thick box I don't think.
http://www.brusso.com/Product/html/item.php?item=cb-301s

The music box place does brass Piano hinge but not stainless and not with a small enough 'spread' sadly.

Seems strange that there isn't a source considering many of the lovely contemporary boxes made these days.

Have a look at Rockler in the US

They do solid brass cylinder hinges that fit a 5mm hole which could be plated or their smallest jewelry box hinge is made for 7.7mm box thickness, you may be able to file a bit off and again have it plated.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=9833

Next time it may be best to sort the hardware before making the box :wink:

Failing that a bit of brass flat, tube, rod and some silver solder and you could easily knock up your own with a bit of filing.

Jason

jasonB":3v167gze said:
Next time it may be best to sort the hardware before making the box :wink:

Yes, I did as it goes. Bought some 'brass' jewellery box hinges with a mind to getting them plated along with the copper inlay, only to find they were in fact brass-plated steel.
Its something to watch out for actually. I didn't buy them from there but the ones Rutlands sell as brass jewellery box hinges are plated steel I found out after ringing.

I suspect its only brass if it says solid brass (except on ebay).

Back