Vertical support beam - concerning cracks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjward

Established Member
Reaction score
Have an extension and noticed the vertical beam (that I assume supports structural horizontal beams) has got some very large cracks in it.

Is this something I should be concerned about and if so, is there a "fix"?

20230525_133355.jpg
20230525_133412.jpg

I would not be concerned about this, almost all oak framed buildings have these shakes/ checks.
It is because they are large sections of timber and they do it as they dry. If worried measure the crack at a given spot write it down then go and check in 3 months to see if its grown.

Ollie

I would not be concerned about this, almost all oak framed buildings have these shakes/ checks.
It is because they are large sections of timber and they do it as they dry. If worried measure the crack at a given spot write it down then go and check in 3 months to see if its grown.

Ollie
Ah very good to know, I'll sleep a bit easier, thanks Ollie

You can buy purpose made crack monitors: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B094N59...&s=kitchen&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw They have pins to hold them at zero whilst you fix them then remove the pins and monitor the movement from the zero position, keep a written record with date and weather conditions.
Ooo they look interesting and I think I'll pull the trigger. I'm sure everything is fine but at least if it's not this will help me before it becomes a significant issue.

Thank you all! 👍

...write it down then go and check in 3 months to see if its grown...

There seems to be no provision in this to separate seasonal movement due to changing weather and humidity from structural movement.

Hence, I think you would need to flesh out the methodology a little in order that the connection between cause and effect is more clear.

I'm guessing you'd have to compare like for like logs, ie compare one June average with another year June average and so on to account for natural movement from summer to winter etc?

It is because they are large sections of timber and they do it as they dry. If worried measure the crack at a given spot write it down then go and check in 3 months to see if
Have an extension and noticed the vertical beam (that I assume supports structural horizontal beams) has got some very large cracks in it.

Is this something I should be concerned about and if so, is there a "fix"?

View attachment 159851View attachment 159852
Hi,
I also agree with it being of no concern. It’s simply the natural movement of the timber, especially when exposed to sunlight, heat, cold, rain etc and will settle somewhat over time. Enjoy the beauty of timber!

Ooo they look interesting and I think I'll pull the trigger
Don't think you need to buy anything. First up, most here don't think it's a problem. Second, digital photography be it phone or camera is virtually free at point of use so you temporarily stick a ruler to the post with masking tape, photograph it, remove it, repeat every few months.

There seems to be no provision in this to separate seasonal movement due to changing weather and humidity from structural movement.

Hence, I think you would need to flesh out the methodology a little in order that the connection between cause and effect is more clear.
The telltail would register contraction as well as expansion so if readings are taken say every week for a year you would see increase followed by a decrease in size of the crack, if it's a structural issue the increase would tend to be far greater than the decrease or they may be no decrease at all.

I do a lot of oak timber framing. It all cracks and is all over specced timbers because of that. The force is downward to the ground. The cracks are trivial.

Personally I never put a finish on external oak posts (or internal for that matter). They are best left natural. Crack monitor is a waste of money.

When restoring timber we did sometimes use polyethylene glycol, this was used on the Mary Rose to stabilise the structure and I think you would agree that was successful! I notice on the internet "World of Books" a used book on the subject at £3.50 or so. Looking this up on the net also threw up its medical uses which was all new to me.

Latest posts

Back