Veritas Spokeshave Blade Bevel Angle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky9cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought myself one of these and am pleased with it. I'm using it to produce the curves on a Morris Chair that I'm making - I'll post it up on the Projects board when I'm finished but don't hold your breath :wink: .

One question I thought someone may be able to answer though; why is the blade ground with a micro bevel of 35 degrees ( along with a primary bevel of 30 degrees). I understand the logic behind primary and secondary bevels on chisels - is the reason the same as this, i.e. when resharpening the blade one doesn't have to remove so much metal. :?:

The Veritas blurb says "The blades for the Veritas Flat and Round Spokeshaves come with a finely ground 30° primary bevel and a 35° micro-bevel. This configuration provides a strong, long-wearing edge that can be quickly honed many times before the primary bevel needs to be reground. The 35° micro-bevel leaves a 10°relief angle, more than adequate to accommodate the springback of the wood fibers."

What do they mean about the 10 degree relief angle and spring back of the wood fibers?

On the same subject, I use a Tormek for sharpening and am beginning to dispense with primary bevels going straight for the secondary, cutting bevel. When honing the edge on a stone to refresh the edge, I find that with the hollow grind and the large single face, it's easier to hold the face flat on the stone and only a tiny bit of metal needs to be removed as only the tip and back edge are actually in contact. It seems like a good idea but have I missed something? :oops: :?

Cheers, Ted

Ted
Imagine cutting a sponge with a knife - the sponge compresses as you cut and then springs back behind the cut. This also happens with wood - therefore a relief area behind the bevel is needed. The fibres springing back can rub on the back of the blade and prevent the blade cutting.
As you have found out, hollow grinding is an effective way to speed up honing, just like the microbevel method.
Hope this helps,
Philly :D

Philly
Thanks for the analogy. It makes pretty good sense and is easy to visualize. I guess that means that the microbevel is in fact an ordinary secondary bevel that can be ground back (in time) to become larger :?:

Thanks for the reply, by the way.

Ted

Back