Veritas RH Small plough plane wide blade conversion kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven’t been available since last year in the U.K. when I was last looking too. Try Hyvlar in Sweden as they have both the RH and LH conversion kit listed as available on their website. Never used them before but the official Veritas Tools website lists them as a dealer supplier.

Be careful with buying stuff from the EU...... there's a probability of incurring high import duties and collection fees on top of the purchase price these days, but you probably know that already.

Unless you are firmly wedded to Veritas and if you need something small, a good quality Record 043 plough planes can still be had from a well known 'auction' supplier.

I've used them for decades and they are hard to beat.

I know, they only come with three blades, the widest being 1/4 inch, but if you want to go wider than that, they will accept any width (within reason) from any maker, old or new, provided that the blade is 1/8 inch thick. Personally, I find that they tend to struggle above 3/4 inch width, but at that point I then go for a larger plough plane.

Good luck

Be careful with buying stuff from the EU...... there's a probability of incurring high import duties and collection fees on top of the purchase price these days, but you probably know that already.

Unless you are firmly wedded to Veritas and if you need something small, a good quality Record 043 plough planes can still be had from a well known 'auction' supplier.

I've used them for decades and they are hard to beat.

I know, they only come with three blades, the widest being 1/4 inch, but if you want to go wider than that, they will accept any width (within reason) from any maker, old or new, provided that the blade is 1/8 inch thick. Personally, I find that they tend to struggle above 3/4 inch width, but at that point I then go for a larger plough plane.

Good luck
I've already got the plough (Thank you Classic Handtools) so am committed to Veritas now.

That’s great. Did you have much hassle with postage and taxes etc by importing from the EU?

That sounds OK aside from the longish delivery wait. I had wondered if ordering from the EU was going to become more like ordering from the US. Last year, I broke the front knob on my Lie Nielsen 5-1/2 plane, called LN in the US to get a free replacement with only shipping to pay. I was landed with a £12 custom agent inspection charge and custom taxes on a $25 value item payable on the doorstep turning the whole thing into another US sticker shock exercise.

Back