Veritas Mk 2 honing guide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
For years i've used an Eclipse style honing guide. But it's pants for use with my Jap chisels.

So I bought the Veritas. Hadn't really heard much about them, and thought i'd take a punt.

Man it's good. Comes with a registration plate which sets the angle of the hone and also squares the blade in the jig.

Nift little knob which increases the honing angle by a couple of degrees for a secondary bevel.

All in all, very impressed.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":liwyb8qt said:
For years i've used an Eclipse style honing guide. But it's pants for use with my Jap chisels.

So I bought the Veritas. Hadn't really heard much about them, and thought i'd take a punt.

Man it's good. Comes with a registration plate which sets the angle of the hone and also squares the blade in the jig.

Nift little knob which increases the honing angle by a couple of degrees for a secondary bevel.

All in all, very impressed.

Cheers

Karl
Freehand for Jap chisels - easy peasy. That's what the Japs use. Rounded bevels too, I am unreliably informed

I've tried Jacob. But I just can't get satisfactory (ie razor sharp) results.

I get the round bevel, and it makes sense. But I can't seem to get the "final" edge, ie the final hone. Tried many a time.

Perhaps it's just me.

Cheers

Karl

Karl
The MKII is a great jig - massively over-built, but silly person proof and with some very clever features. I rather like the micro-bevel knob.
Cheers
Philly :D

Don't forget that a single bevel is desirable for your parers (so you can use then effectively bevel side down)...25deg is what I hone mine at (but I don't use a VMkII :p ) - Rob

Mr G Rimsdale":21uxp7dd said:
Freehand for Jap chisels - easy peasy. That's what the Japs use. Rounded bevels too, I am unreliably informed

Very unreliably.

Mr G Rimsdale":21uxp7dd said:
TBH I don't know anything about Jap sharpening ...

BugBear

Well the Jap chap at Cressing Temple had rounded bevels on all his chisels the other day.
I hope somebody pointed out to him the error of his ways!

Mr G Rimsdale":1hnurtzp said:
Well the Jap chap at Cressing Temple had rounded bevels on all his chisels the other day.

There's always exceptions.

At a Kezurou Kai (Japanese planing contest) reported on Woodcentral several of the Japanese competitors were using sharpening jigs.

BugBear

Jap chisels, especially narrow ones, are very difficult to hold in any jig that clamps from the top (e.g. Veritas or Bridge City), because the back is so narrow. (It can't be called the back, as we polish the back, which is the other side - what is it called then? It's not even the top when we are honing! Discuss).

What you need is a copy of BW from a couple of issues ago. In it is a modification to a standard Eclipse jig. It's in the Tips, I think. There is a rather excellent drawing (done by Yours Truly) of a rather simple, cheap and very effective modification by David Charlesworth. I've not tried it, having sold my genuine Eclipse jig for 10p some years ago (well we all make mistakes), but David says it does the job perfectly and if it's good enough for DC....

The modification is screwing on a couple of brass plates, IIRC. You can't use it for plane irons any more, but it allows Jap chisels to be held firmly, level and at the correct angle.

S

Steve Maskery":681keo8e said:
Jap chisels, especially narrow ones, are very difficult to hold in any jig that clamps from the top (e.g. Veritas or Bridge City), because the back is so narrow. (It can't be called the back, as we polish the back, which is the other side - what is it called then? It's not even the top when we are honing! Discuss).

What you need is a copy of BW from a couple of issues ago. In it is a modification to a standard Eclipse jig. It's in the Tips, I think. There is a rather excellent drawing (done by Yours Truly) of a rather simple, cheap and very effective modification by David Charlesworth. I've not tried it, having sold my genuine Eclipse jig for 10p some years ago (well we all make mistakes), but David says it does the job perfectly and if it's good enough for DC....

The modification is screwing on a couple of brass plates, IIRC. You can't use it for plane irons any more, but it allows Jap chisels to be held firmly, level and at the correct angle.

S

Woodbloke made a version, posted back in 2007.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post ... jig#233380

BugBear

Karl":2zo6gc6e said:

I have one and I love it. However make sure that you always check the setting of that micro adjustment knob and make sure that you return it to the default position after each use. Otherwise you will spend ages trying to figure out why you are taking metal off of the heal of the bevel rather than the toe when you come to next sharpen a primary bevel ;)

frugal":1fezb3kz said:
Karl":1fezb3kz said:

I have one and I love it. However make sure that you always check the setting of that micro adjustment knob and make sure that you return it to the default position after each use. Otherwise you will spend ages trying to figure out why you are taking metal off of the heal of the bevel rather than the toe when you come to next sharpen a primary bevel ;)

AH! Another person that has done that and gone "DOH" at the end! You made me feel better now frugal!

I love the V2 and use it for planes but it is not that good for my Japanese edges. I have learned how to do these by hand now and the release of this knowledge was far better driven by the use of the 3M film stuff from Matt and plate glass.

It is very simple to retain the right honing angle..and transferring this along the grits keeping the same locked arms and grip.

That being said the V2 is beautiful for plane irons...but I'm tending to rehone these by hand now...

The key to this is a perfect bevel grind first...this leaves virtually nothing left to do.

Jim

Grim wrote

Was your dad over there in the war Grim
might have been your long lost Japanese brother :shock:

Steve Maskery":1wdpiob5 said:
What you need is a copy of BW from a couple of issues ago. In it is a modification to a standard Eclipse jig.

The Trend jig works in the same way as the modified Eclipse in that it registers from the flat side of the blade. I find it excellent for chisels

Trendguide1.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

jimi43":1ytdhpbl said:
I love the V2 and use it for planes but it is not that good for my Japanese edges.

Jim

I'm not clear as to why you don't find it any good for japanese chisels? I did all mine in about 15 mins last night.

As for narrow blades, i've just sharpened my AI 6mm blade perfectly.

Paul - that jig looks good. But how many have you got exactly?

Cheers

Karl

I'm not sure either Karl. It was quite a thin paring chisel and although the registration started ok the grip of the two plates did not seem enough to hold it well.

I may have had some wayward Camilia Oil on it...perhaps that's the reason.

I was quite happy that I got a keen edge with hand honing so I didn't bother after that.

Jim

Woodbloke made a version, posted back in 2007.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post ... jig#233380

BugBear

I'll say nowt about :-$ 'you know what' :wink: in case I get shouted at, but it will do all (or 98% of chisels), including all the Jap chisels I've thrown at it.

The Eclipse modified guage is now residing with Waka in Weymouth (but I have his original unmoded Eclipse) - Rob

My Kell II grips them on the sides.

What does Mr Grim look like - must see if I can pick him out from Wizer's videos of the CT Show??

Rod

Latest posts

Back