veritas flush plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill d

Established Member
Reaction score
I caught sight of a picture of one of these chisel planes in the Rutlands catalogue and it seems to me that it would be easy(ish) to make one up out of an old plane iron. (Perhaps a homemade handle could be attached to the iron with a shallow dovetailed tenon..). Has anybody tried it?

Neomorph":3iecupa9 said:
Yeah... £22.33 seems a lot for just a plane iron and a plastic pusher.

I dunno; I think most after market plane blades cost that much or more...

BugBear

OK if you have to buy a plane iron specially for the job. But it wouldn't need to be highest quality stuff & many of us have got old ones/spares hanging around.. Best wishes Bill

i have one of these, and find it useful, especially for shortening dowels.

there are two advantages of the veritas one, when not in use, the blade can be hidden safely which means it does not need sharpening so often.

second point is how do you make a handle like the veritas one which is so low, and holds the blade well, and straight and level.

i can see that it seems expensive when you have lots of old plane blades,
BUT how often do you actually make these devices to save you time and money.

it is also useful for trimming veneer edges, although i start out with my veritex edging cutter which i find very useful

paul :wink:

I use mine for trimming iron on edging, works better than my Dakota trimmer especially in real wood.

Don't think it would be difficult to make a handle, basically all you need is a step in the base for the back of the blade to register against so it won't slide backwards as you push, a spigot to fit the slot in the iron to locate the blade sideways and a rare earth magnet or two epoxied into the handle to hold the blade in place, thats basically how the veritas one works. Good excuse to upgrade your block plane iron :D

PM me if you want any close-up pics of the underside.

Jason

Back