Veritas® Apron Plane advise please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philly":1plpb9vx said:
Sharpening is no big deal in my workshop-I keep my set-up ready to go so if I need a quick sharpen it only takes a minute.
Those waterstones sort out A2 quickly and easily-what are you lot using?? :? Philly :D
I prefer HC blades like some of the others. They do hone more quickly while working than A2, where I have to take more strokes.

That said, I use Shaptons in the main, a 2000 grit while working. Sometimes it's a 4000 grit King waterstone I have setting on the bench instead (if the Shaptons are in the house).

If I need to correct or change a bevel angle drastically, I use the Tormek followed by the stones.

Usually do honing freehand--which is why I regrind occasionally :) Sometimes I simply use the MK.II to change bevel angles or correct an edge tool's geometry. I almost always use the MK.II to camber. Of course, the MK.II roller I cambered helps that task. :wink:

Take care. Mike

Adam":2gi7astw said:
I took the plunge and ordered a leather apron - partly 'cos I have an oxy-acetelyne welding setup so like the heat protection. Its much more durable - and provides a small amount of protection if you have a kick-back / slip with a sharp chisel etc.

Not cheap at £40, but if Philly pays £10 a pop for disposal versions I reckon its a bargain!

CAB1_tn.jpg

Adam

Where did you purchase the apron from Adam ?

I've managed to speed up sharpening a lot (most of my blades are A2) by adopting Charlesworth's method of three bevels. I do the first bevel on my grinder, then the second and third on my stones. This also helps because I'm going through an oil stone phase right now, they obviously don't cut as fast as water stones.

Frank D.":35wzknb1 said:
I've managed to speed up sharpening a lot (most of my blades are A2) by adopting Charlesworth's method of three bevels. I do the first bevel on my grinder, then the second and third on my stones.
This is a good tip and does speed things up incredibly. Whereas I don't use something like a ruler, I do raise the back up a skosh on BD plane blades and hone it.
Frank D.":35wzknb1 said:
This also helps because I'm going through an oil stone phase right now, they obviously don't cut as fast as water stones.
Really? I didn't know that. :twisted:

Mike "Running for cover" Wenzloff

"Charlesworth's method of three bevels" - what is this method

Andy

LyNx":2j40v49h said:
"Charlesworth's method of three bevels" - what is this method
Andy
Hi Andy,

Say you have a plane blade from a bevel down Stanley to sharpen. First, the primary bevel would be ground on a power grinder or by hand (using a guide would ensure accuracy) of 25 degrees. Next, a secondary bevel would be honed on the same side of the blade at 30 degrees.

Lastly, a ruler (which is what Charlesworth uses) is laid on one long edge of the stone (down the length of the stone), and the blade back placed upon the ruler so the blade's sharp edge is on the other side of the stone. This raises the back of the blade a couple degrees or so. The blade is moved back and forth across the ruler so the edge of the blade is given what is called a back bevel.

Doing this is one method of foregoing flatten the back of a plane blade. Not much metal is taken off the back, maybe .5 to 1 mm at most over time.

Take care, Mike

That's not quite what I was referring to Mike, what you describe would be on my blades the quadruple bevel technique.
What I do is grind a primary bevel of 25° (if I remember correctly DC grinds it at 23°). Then I grind a very small bevel at 30°. Finally, I hone a micro bevel at 33°. This way, when the edge is dull I just have to make the second bevel--which is already very small--a little bigger, then rehone the microbevel. I can get 5 or six sharpenings (at least) before the second bevel gets to about 1/3-1/2 the total width of the bevel, at which point I regrind the primary bevel and start over again. There's so little metal to take off when I sharpen, it really does only take a few minutes per blade. And I don't have to use the grinder each time I sharpen.
David posted his technique somewhere on this forum, maybe Alf remembers where it is... (sorry Alf, I feel like a typical male who always asks his wife where the X is...).
You really should give those oil stones a try Mike.

dc's method was published earlier this year in the american mag
popular woodworking. sorry cant remember what issue, but should be
available on their web site. sorry don't know where that is in my pile of old magazines.
:twisted:
paul

Paul,
Did Charlesworth talk about the three bevels on one side of the blade? As far as I recall he just gave his truler trick and a different way to get a camber with tape. I could be wrong, I guess I'm thinking out loud. I remember reading DC's post here not too long ago. I laughed at first as most ignorant people do to good ideas, then its usefulness sunk in and now I have adopted it. I really don't remember seeing it anywhere else before here.
FWIW (not much),

Frank D.":197q7c6u said:
David posted his technique somewhere on this forum, maybe Alf remembers where it is... (sorry Alf, I feel like a typical male who always asks his wife where the X is...).
:lol:

Sorry, Frank; no dice. I've been through all DC's posts and can't find it here. But I did find it a couple of times on Wood Central, so that's presumably where you picked it up.

Cheers, Alf

Frank D.":2jdsauxb said:
Paul,
Did Charlesworth talk about the three bevels on one side of the blade? As far as I recall he just gave his truler trick and a different way to get a camber with tape. FWIW (not much),

Frank, are you looking for the ruler trick post or the tape / camber trick?

Sawdust Producer":1ml9scvv said:
Adam":1ml9scvv said:
I took the plunge and ordered a leather apron - partly 'cos I have an oxy-acetelyne welding setup so like the heat protection. Its much more durable - and provides a small amount of protection if you have a kick-back / slip with a sharp chisel etc.

Not cheap at £40, but if Philly pays £10 a pop for disposal versions I reckon its a bargain!

CAB1_tn.jpg

Adam

Where did you purchase the apron from Adam ?

Rutlands I think.

Adam

I've given up thinking but I do recall reading somewhere that leather aprons can cause staining or discolouration to your clothes beneath. Any evidence of that Adam? Or don't you wear pristine white shirts in the workshop? :)

Cheers, Alf

Alf":198g8s2w said:
I've given up thinking but I do recall reading somewhere that leather aprons can cause staining or discolouration to your clothes beneath. Any evidence of that Adam? Or don't you wear pristine white shirts in the workshop? :)

Cheers, Alf

Unfortunately, my standard "workshop" clothes are black jeans, and navy blue jumper so its pretty unlikely I'd notice. :roll: In fact even if I was wearing pristine whites I very much doubt I'd notice. :eek:

Adam

ydb1md":2goptohn said:
Frank, are you looking for the ruler trick post or the tape / camber trick?
Thanks Dave, I have it. I usually make a point of getting whatever Charlesworth writes. He's had more influence on me than any other single writer.

Adam
You pushed me to it!
Yes, Apron envy! :twisted:
Check this out..........
apron1.jpg

Yes, it the new Tormek Apron. Pockets for pencils, calipers, phone, you name it! It has a real nice strap/height adjust thing going on too. And do you know the best?? (bet the leather one hasn't got this :lol: )

apron2.jpg

Yes, it has a velcro attachement so you don't have to take it off when you need, you know, to go. :lol:
Many thanks to Martin at Brimarc-you sense of humour is as good as your service! :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

P.s. He put me up to it, Adam. Honest! :whistle:

Philly":ewlkdzel said:
Check this out..........Yes, it the new Tormek Apron. Philly :D

A Tormek apron?! Does it cost twice as much as anything that's comparable? :lol:

I do like the velcro jobbie though -- very thoughtful. I'm thinking of installing a urinal in the shop just so I won't have to walk 30 feet to the loo. So inconvenient . . . :roll:

Philly, I see that your plane cabinet is full AND you have two planes sitting on your bench. What're you going to do? :wink:

Back