Ventilation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Desiccant dehumidifiers use a desiccant to absorb the moisture and then use heat to push that moisture out of the desiccant and into the collection hopper.

Mine is a compressor type and is rated at 250W, a similar spec desiccant unit will be 5-600W. The desiccant type will be more efficient at extracting moisture but cost more to run, in winter time though it will also be pushing out more heat as a byproduct, not necessarily a bad thing as I have said.

Our unit puts out enough heat when running to cause the temperature to rise on the thermostat by a degree or two after a couple of hours and the air coming out does feel pleasantly warm.

Rorschach":2ljq40mc said:
Desiccant dehumidifiers use a desiccant to absorb the moisture and then use heat to push that moisture out of the desiccant and into the collection hopper.

Mine is a compressor type and is rated at 250W, a similar spec desiccant unit will be 5-600W. The desiccant type will be more efficient at extracting moisture but cost more to run, in winter time though it will also be pushing out more heat as a byproduct, not necessarily a bad thing as I have said.

Our unit puts out enough heat when running to cause the temperature to rise on the thermostat by a degree or two after a couple of hours and the air coming out does feel pleasantly warm.

Absorb? Adsorb shirley? :wink: I think that high humidity can amplify our perception of feeling cold as well as of feeling hot - low humidity, the opposite.

Woody2Shoes":35t6i7oz said:
Absorb? Adsorb shirley? :wink: I think that high humidity can amplify our perception of feeling cold as well as of feeling hot - low humidity, the opposite.

Oh god now it's getting complicated! :lol:

Yes I would agree, lower humidity air doesn't seem to wick away the heat as much.

Rorschach":fdi13drp said:
.......Victorian thinking persists.

You don't seem to learn. Ventilation is absolutely essential. We can't breathe without it. Providing the exact same amount of air turn-over with your system and with the system I am describing....mine wins by a mile in terms of saving money. Yours spews your expensive heat out into the outside air at a hugely higher rate than mine. Please try and understand this basic point before you sneak in any more snide comments.

Ok ok, I am not going to waste anymore time on this as you clearly are not grasping what I am saying, I didn't think it was a difficult concept, clearly I was wrong.

Heat recovery ventlation is the way to go, space permitting. I always try to make sure that sufficient space/ allowance is allowed for cleaning the ductwork.
If you look at the heat losses from a typical property the infiltration and ventilation heat losses are now the more significant portion as U values have improved so much in recent years.
In order to reduce energy consumption the onus is now on building to a high degree of air tightness coupled with efficient heat recovery ventilation.

Underfloor heating is good in high spaces such as barns as it has a large radiant component and heats evenly over the height of the space with minimal temp stratification .

Back