Ventilation for built in wardrobe/closet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
As part of my ongoing war against damp and mould, I wonder if anyone has any ideas for ventilating cupboard doors?
I could just make a jig and drill some holes, but I'm not sure how that would look.
I was thinking maybe some sort of decorative grille, but I'm not sure what to search for, and the top rails are quite narrow.
If I could drill(or rout?) very clean holes, then I think that could work, but maybe there are some sort of lipped tubular metal inserts that would cover any damage, A bit like door spy holes, but bigger, and without the glass.

Last edited:
Not sure if this helps or not but I had a similar issue with damp building behind fitted wardrobes that were on an external wall

The fitted wardrobes had a hardboard backing so I couldnt see the wall behind them. It wasn't till I replaced the wardrobes I found the damp issue.

When I fitted the replacement wardrobes I left the wardrobe backing off and just braced the carcasses so they remained square. Haven't had a problem with damp or mould since.

Maybe this could save drilling/cutting the doors

How about instead of modifying the doors, modify the base and head of the cabinet? I.e, have a recessed area to allow the air through behind the door.
I have no idea what your cabs are made of etc, so it might not be a suitable idea

Attachments

• 20221210_174902.jpg
    20221210_174902.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back