Vennered MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been asked to make a table for a friends boat and to keep costs down i already have some off cuts of oak faced MDF . ( You didnt get it all Paul :lol: ) Now the table will be inside at all times but the moisture content in a boat changes like the wind from wet to very wet to a bit wet .
Ive left MDF under cover outside for a few weeks before and had no problems . I just wondered what the forums opinions are on this ?

I would be very wary - I can see the life of the MDF depending on the quality of finish sealing it from the wet.

The water will get to the MDF at some point and it will swell and split etc. in my opinion (and sadly, experience)

It is not really relevant to this post but i left a pice of untreated 18mm MDF
outside for about 6 months ( over the winter).
It swelled to 46mm!! Slightly more at the corners.
It is now the panel for somebodies kitchen cabinet door.

Only kidding :shock: Threw it away.

Julian

Ive also seen mdf that has soaked up water but from the floor . The table will be off the floor at all times .
I dont think the moisture content from a boat will be a problem but i asked to learn .

If you do use it it will need to be completely sealed on all faces & edges, it will swell, even 0.5mm will be noticable if the surface swells above the lipping/edging.

I know where you can get pippy oak veneered MR MDF from stock :D but at a price :cry:

Jason

JFC,
What kind of boat is it? Small pleasure craft that lives on a trailer or a houseboat that lives on salt water?
Bear in mind that the smallest failure of the finish,a dent or hairline crack will act like a sponge to any moisture present. Also a salty atmosphere will actively degrade the finish even if it is inside!
Imho, unless there is almost no risk of exposure to moisture, I would try to persuade your friend to dig a bit deeper and go for 'real' timber.

Julian

What kind of boat is it? Small pleasure craft that lives on a trailer or a houseboat that lives on salt water?
Bear in mind that the smallest failure of the finish,a dent or hairline crack will act like a sponge to any moisture present. Also a salty atmosphere will actively degrade the finish even if it is inside!
Imho, unless there is almost no risk of exposure to moisture, I would try to persuade your friend to dig a bit deeper and go for 'real' timber.

Julian's hit the key issue: presumably, as he/you are even thinking about an MDF table, it's relatively large, and the table will be 'indoors'. But, frankly, if it's a keelboat/sailboat that goes on open water, I wouldn't even consider it. Every single bit of these craft gets soaked by salt water, inside and out... Not all day, every day, but at some point. Everything in them also gets knocked/banged up a bit: you come down the companionway, lurch with a wave, put out your hand holding the binos/knife/tool to protect yourself - and bingo, you've just punched a dent in a surface. As you then brush past it in your soaking waterproofs, you coat it in salt water...

If it's one of them, he needs a solid oak table covered in yacht varnish...

If, however, it's a houseboat on a canal, or a big powerboat that putters from a to b in calm weather, you might get away with it, provided all edges are well lipped, and the whole thing is treated with something like a 2 pack lacquer, to make it bombproof... A better option, if you won't use solid, would be veneered blockboard: at least the insides of that can be 'dried out' without having it just go soggy on you...

jason this is interesting since so much of what one wants to make goes into
wet places, like bathrooms.

the difference is that boats tend to be humid as well, and when you
shut them up, it might be weeks before you go back.

i would have thought the only way to make the mdf a little certain was to
cover it with a plastic coating that was kind of vacuum fixed, around the
mdf, and have the edging actually overlap, and then get that plastic coated
too.

however, the fact is that in boats you tend to be bashed about a lot,
and things tumble, so it would be difficult to ensure that the plastic
stayed intact for any length of time.

i know it means letting me have some more offies :lol: :lol:

but can you buy veneered water resistant green mdf???? :twisted: :twisted:

now back to my alcove.

paul :wink:

Paul , the plastic coating you mention can be achieved by SP14 or epoxy .
Its not something i intend to do but it came up in conversation and i thought id ask the forum . I actually think Veneer on a boat is a worse idea than MDF but they use it .

Eng 1 have a look at the link I posted, green MR core with veneer 1 or 2 sides.

Even MR will swell if it gets wet enough, I've seen 18mm go upto almost 30mm if left soaking wet, but by then the boat would have sunk anyway :lol:

Jasonb

Jason , Ive had EX MDF blow when a roof leaked and left water pool on the unfinished side . Guess that rules out my MDF boat idea :lol:

JFC medite say that exterior MDF should be painted or sealed on all faces & edges for outside use bet you didn't do that.

Jasonb

Thanks Jason,

Two sided Wenge £105 +vat :shock:
I was wondering what to make my router table cabinet out of!!

Cheers

Julian

Shop fitting the Hammersmith Palais , i told them , they didnt do it , it went wrong and i got paid again to redo it :D

Back