Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Veneered panels (a well worn path)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

craigs

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2016
Messages
624
Reaction score
107
I was reluctant to post this as with "birch ply" seems to be a common occurrence, however everything seems to be posted to suppliers that will only sell to "the trade".

Are there any suppliers that sell a good range of veneered and laminate panels to joe public? Places like Latham have a very good selection from what I see but they only sell to "trade" and don't have great reviews.

The reason I ask, I am buying a house in which i plan to essentially do everything myself, like built-ins, kitchen, bathroom etc. For location, Im buying around the Salisbury area.

Thanks for reading
 

Mrs C

Established Member
Joined
3 Jan 2016
Messages
333
Reaction score
4
Location
United kingdom
Are you sure about Latham’s only selling to trade? They quoted me quite happily the other day. Might be worth emailing to ask.

Our alternative is our local independent hardware store will order in sheet materials, but it might be a long way for you to come and collect.

There are other online suppliers such as SL Hardwoods, but the delivery makes it expensive if you are only buying small quantities.
 

craigs

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2016
Messages
624
Reaction score
107
Ah thanks guys,

I contacted Lathams who said they only sold trade and contact the depot, which makes me wonder if it's just a loose policy.

I do like SL, where I currently am in Windsor, its not too bad to get to and have had some decent wood from there, but a bit of a stretch from Salisbury. I'll checkout Cutwrights
 

Trainee neophyte

[Insert witty and amusing title here]
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
2,275
Reaction score
138
Location
Greece
I am under the impression that many places will give you a trade account if you are self-building, renovating etc. Always worth asking. It's not as if they don't want to sell you stuff, but they are also forced to keep their cartel/monopoly price-fixing scam going, too. Failing that, you could always set yourself up as a self-employed sole trader, for the duration.

I have always found the "trade account" idea to be slightly grubby. Think of it as an enforced price-fixing arrangement.
 

craigs

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2016
Messages
624
Reaction score
107
I actually thought of setting up as a sole trader, but I think accounts costs and everything that goes with it is just a PITA. I also agree on the trade account thing,
 

AndyT

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2007
Messages
12,029
Reaction score
473
Location
Bristol
Robbins in Bristol and Avon Plywood at Keynsham both have a wide range of sheet goods. Robbins specialise in what boatbuilders need so Avon might be more use. They also offer accurate cutting and edge veneering.
Both are very clearly trade and retail and will deliver. Not really very far from Salisbury, worth a browse on their websites and a phone call on Monday.
 

craigs

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2016
Messages
624
Reaction score
107
Thanks Andy,

Avon certainly have a good range. is £107 +VAT a good price for 18mm B/BB birch ply? I imagined it to be cheaper than that.
 

Lons

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
7,414
Reaction score
167
Location
Northumberland
Hi Craig

First if you want to set up as a sole trader there needn't be any accounts costs. Just, think of a business name and self print a letterhead then you just need to notify the IR if you did any work for anyone however what I'd do is just go in person to your nearest supplier / merchant, ask to see the manager and explain that you have a sizeable renovation project, maybe exaggerate possible quantities a little and you would like to set up a credit or cash sale account.

They need the business and all have the discretion to enable that. If setting up a credit account they'll want your bank details and will impose a limit but will waive the usual trade references.
 

craigs

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2016
Messages
624
Reaction score
107
Lons":1kr4udiu said:
Hi Craig

First if you want to set up as a sole trader there needn't be any accounts costs. Just, think of a business name and self print a letterhead then you just need to notify the IR if you did any work for anyone however what I'd do is just go in person to your nearest supplier / merchant, ask to see the manager and explain that you have a sizeable renovation project, maybe exaggerate possible quantities a little and you would like to set up a credit or cash sale account.

They need the business and all have the discretion to enable that. If setting up a credit account they'll want your bank details and will impose a limit but will waive the usual trade references.
Interesting, I was watching the "small business toolbox" YT channel which was going through setting up, registering as a sole trader and this whole insurance and accountancy fees which seemed like a pain in the buttox for the sake of just being able to buy wood and supplies.
 

Lons

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
7,414
Reaction score
167
Location
Northumberland
craigsalisbury":1qt57psn said:
Interesting, I was watching the "small business toolbox" YT channel which was going through setting up, registering as a sole trader and this whole insurance and accountancy fees which seemed like a pain in the buttox for the sake of just being able to buy wood and supplies.
Depends on the size of the business Craig, if under the VAT threshold it can be pretty simple though it definitely can pay to employ the services of an accountant who can often get their fees back in savings there's nothing to stop you doing your own books and the IR would want you to self assess but in your case as it's only for the purpose of getting an account there would be no costs to speak of really.

As I said I'd approach the merchants in person first, several of my friends successfully did that following my advice. I've been retired several years and still have no problems maintaining accounts with a couple of builders merchants and Howdens all who know I'm retired and my purchases these days are pretty small.

Edit:
This is more reliable than youtube and be aware that there are companies offering to set you up for a fee, you don't need them.
https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader
 

craigs

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2016
Messages
624
Reaction score
107
Lons":48nrublw said:
craigsalisbury":48nrublw said:
Interesting, I was watching the "small business toolbox" YT channel which was going through setting up, registering as a sole trader and this whole insurance and accountancy fees which seemed like a pain in the buttox for the sake of just being able to buy wood and supplies.
Depends on the size of the business Craig, if under the VAT threshold it can be pretty simple though it definitely can pay to employ the services of an accountant who can often get their fees back in savings there's nothing to stop you doing your own books and the IR would want you to self assess but in your case as it's only for the purpose of getting an account there would be no costs to speak of really.

As I said I'd approach the merchants in person first, several of my friends successfully did that following my advice. I've been retired several years and still have no problems maintaining accounts with a couple of builders merchants and Howdens all who know I'm retired and my purchases these days are pretty small.


Edit:
This is more reliable than youtube and be aware that there are companies offering to set you up for a fee, you don't need them.
https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader
Do they not get suspicious if you are "self employed" but not actually having a turnover or profit? and would you even list items on your books as you pay for them with other income from a day job?

I guess i would need to sit down with someone and ask a load of stupid questions, but first I will take your advice and approch some companies to see if i can arrange some kind of cash account.

Thanks for the advice
Craig
 

mbartlett99

Established Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
877
Reaction score
0
Location
Hitchin, Hertfordshire
Slightly off topic but as I'm coming to the end of my kitchen build might of some use.

I priced up the various options; buying sheet, cutwrights (cut and edged) and buying cheap carcasses. Buying the sheets was about 30% cheaper than cutwrights BUT don't enderstimate lw long lipping takes of that CNC cut sheets are all absolutely accurate. I'm glad I went in that direction and thats even with a large panel saw in my garage.

Finishing a large amount of panels was also an issue I massively underestimated in terms of time but also space - formica felt ike a very good idea after finishing 6 sheets worth of vmdf.
 

craigs

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2016
Messages
624
Reaction score
107
mbartlett99":2tmucwlp said:
Slightly off topic but as I'm coming to the end of my kitchen build might of some use.

I priced up the various options; buying sheet, cutwrights (cut and edged) and buying cheap carcasses. Buying the sheets was about 30% cheaper than cutwrights BUT don't enderstimate lw long lipping takes of that CNC cut sheets are all absolutely accurate. I'm glad I went in that direction and thats even with a large panel saw in my garage.

Finishing a large amount of panels was also an issue I massively underestimated in terms of time but also space - formica felt ike a very good idea after finishing 6 sheets worth of vmdf.
My plan for a kitchen would probably be melamine coated ply or something for the carcasses and veneered doors and end panels etc. I wouldnt want to finish inside kitchen cabinets.
 
Top