Veneered Blockboard or MDF?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user22161

Established Member
Reaction score
One of those days where I just can't make my mind up and 'er indoors isn't helping.

Need to replace some (inherited with the house) cheap and nasty built in bedroom furniture and scratching my head wondering what to use.

Sliding doors are out and Contiplas out of the question for anything exterior but, "may" consider cream for interior shelves.

Been having a look around various veneered MDF suppliers and came across veneered blockboard - now I'm wondering which is better? It's 30 - 40 years since I've used blockboard and can't remember how it would perform as far as bowing is concerned on say a wardrobe side panel.

Still trying to decide on what to use for doors - make with hardwood frames and veneered MDF panels or, buy ready made/finished ones if any sensible prices around. Find getting a good paint finish (no spraying facilities) on bare routed MDF is a pain so tending to rule that option out.

Any ideas/advice welcome, I'm out of touch with what's around in the way of wraps/foils etc. which may be alternatives.

I was recently updating a wardrobe in a 1970s house and found some blockboard shelving in there. It was the first time I'd seen it in the flesh for (probably) 30 years.

I've never seen any in the DIY sheds and I suspect ply has largely replaced it where strength is an issue - MDF and contiboard where it is not.

It is no doubt still made for some applications, but I wish you well in finding some at a reasonable price.

Regards

Terry

I think melamine faced chipboard is the simplest option for carcases (kronospan or eggar are the most common brands in the UK). Some of the wood grains are pretty good, or just a plain colour. The material works best with the face frame style so no board edges are visible from the outside. Loose shelves are best finished with solid wood lipping, iron on edging isnt very good.

A wood grain mfc carcase, such as oak is a really nice contrast to painted doors. Side cheeks, plinth and cornice mean none of the carcase is visible when the doors are shut.

I dont know if its easy to get hold of mfc as it is mistly made in jumbo size sheets for cutting down with a beam saw (sheet size is 2800 x 2070).

Back