Veneer bubbled after laquering. What are the options ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just sprayed a couple of veneered doors and annoying a few bubbles have developed where the veneer must not have glued to the substrate.

I have heard people say you can inject glue into the bubble, but as I am not a diabetic or a herion user I don't have any needles to hand.

Are there any other ways to resolve this. Ideally, I do not want to have to sand and relaquer the doors.

Thanks

What glue did you use? you may be able to iron the veneer back down.

J

Did you use contact adhesive by any chance?
How long did you leave before spraying.
As Jason says, you might be able to iron it back down.
Adam.

Was the finish water based by any chance? If so, the veneer might shrink back, but it probably won't. You may well end up having to do it again I'm afraid.

Lord Kitchener":2xvisqlg said:
Was the finish water based by any chance? If so, the veneer might shrink back, but it probably won't. You may well end up having to do it again I'm afraid.
That is a depressing thought. What about if I try slitting the venner with a knife and get some glue into the slit ?

I suppose I don't have a lot to lose.

I have had this probemon a table top. You can do it with a needle and syringe but I managed without. Get a Swann Morton scalpel and using one of the pointed blades I think, in the smaller size handle it is a No 11 and slit the bubble in line with the grain. Put a little glue at a time onto the upper surface of the scalpel blabe and work it under the surface of the veneer. Depending on th size of the bubble, you may need to do this several times; aim to fill the space under the veneer. Then flex the veneer with a fingerso as to push the glue into the whole surface of the substrate under the bubble,then squeeze out any excess through the slit. When you are satisfied that you have covered the whole area, place a piece of polythene over the bubble and clamp down with a suitably sized block of wood. When dry, scrape off the excess glue and you should have a pretty much invisible repair.

Jim

yetloh":kykbhjvp said:
I have had this probemon a table top. You can do it with a needle and syringe but I managed without. Get a Swann Morton scalpel and using one of the pointed blades I think, in the smaller size handle it is a No 11 and slit the bubble in line with the grain. Put a little glue at a time onto the upper surface of the scalpel blabe and work it under the surface of the veneer. Depending on th size of the bubble, you may need to do this several times; aim to fill the space under the veneer. Then flex the veneer with a fingerso as to push the glue into the whole surface of the substrate under the bubble,then squeeze out any excess through the slit. When you are satisfied that you have covered the whole area, place a piece of polythene over the bubble and clamp down with a suitably sized block of wood. When dry, scrape off the excess glue and you should have a pretty much invisible repair.

Jim
Thanks Jim.

Hi

I have been able to get needles from the local vet.

Jim's solution is the way I wopuld dop it. I would recommend slightly angling the scalpel to aid lifting the veneer. I actually use two scalpels to put the glue in, one to wedge the slit open, the other to insert the glue. I'm not sure urea glue sticks to itself and would use PU for the repair, it's foaming property would probably aid spreading of the glue in the blister.

Chris

Back