Tesa or veneer tape advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sihollies

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

A little advice again if I may?

I am planning to create a marquetry picture and was wondering if I may have your input as to whether to use Tesa tape or veneer tape to hold the veneers together prior to glueing it to the substrate.

I would ordinarily use veneer tape, but after reading several threads here, am not to sure whether to invest into some Tesa tape, as it gets rave reviews?

If the general concensus points to the Tesa option, does this product leave any marks on the surface after glueing & what is the best way to remove the tape after the glue-up, as I sometime find that when removing the cellulose veneer tape, there appears to be glue residue on the veneer & it takes a bit of work to remove it? (I'm probably doing it wrong??)

Many thanks in advance,
Simon

The Tesa Yellow cold press tape is good (in my opinion) and does not leave any residue after removal. I remove it with a cabinet scraper.

The yellow Tesa is great but can be a pain if doing a lot of small parts in a small area. It is thicker and can build up to the point where it causes problems if using the window method. you need to make sure you don't go over 3 layers crossing over each other and give yourself probs. I use a 30 gram per sq metre tape gummed veneer tape when doing fiddly bits as it is so thin.

Many thanks for the input everyone.

Looks like I'm heading over to Wood workers workshop, and as usual, will without a doubt spend more money than I initially intended. 😁

Thanks again,
Simon

Many thanks everyone.

For info: I have finished the project using the yellow Tesa tape during glue up, and found it absolutely brilliant.

I understand where Droogs is coming frrom, but for basic marquetry it is ideal.

Simon

Latest posts

Back