velcro backing on sander no longer sticky, what to do ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busy builder

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a lovely little Festool FES125 orbital sander but the velcro is no longer sticky. So the sanding disks spin off, any idea on ways to fix this ?

New foam pads for these machines are over £35 so looking for a skinflint option.

These sanders are very good, with little or no VWF effects over long term use, and finish is also excellent, pity about the velcro.

TIA

busy builder":25nwlznx said:
I have a lovely little Festool FES125 orbital sander but the velcro is no longer sticky. So the sanding disks spin off, any idea on ways to fix this ?

New foam pads for these machines are over £35 so looking for a skinflint option.

These sanders are very good, with little or no VWF effects over long term use, and finish is also excellent, pity about the velcro.

TIA

Would strips of sticky-backed Velcro tape do it, to cover the pad? If you can clean the surface well enough the 'proper' stuff does stick very well, but I can see that being tricky on a sander!

I assume it's hooks on the pad and loops on the abrasive? In my experience the loops (of real Velcro) go long before the hooks do.

Axminster used to sell a roll of repair velcro. I used it and it seemed OK but it wasn't cheap; I could probably have got a new backing disc for not much more.

Edit
Here ya go

Backing pads are consumable items. I've certainly been through a few, metabo 450. I'm using mikra abranet disc protection pad they seem to make the backing pads last longer. I would think you could stick it to an old pad.
mikraabranetpadprotection.jpg

Can be had here http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/a ... _wool.html for under a fiver and i see they now do mixed packs of abranet disc's.
No affiliation just happy customer.

Sounds silly, but have you tried to freshen it up with a very stiff nylon brush.

Did the trick on one of mine.

Those pad protect discs are good however.

Mike

8)

I found the same problem with my Metabo 450, It would hold the disks that came with the sander but not my Abranet disks. I bought an Abranet backing pad for around £25 and it works fine now. They do need to be kept clean with a stiff bristle brush as has been stated.

I got a sheet of velcro from Ebay sanded down the worn stuff AEG not Festool( no way to peel off ) punched holes in new and fitted.

Latest posts

Back