VASE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
SWMBO as asked if i could turn a wooden vase to hold one of her glass vases,to put flowers in still. :roll:
Is this advisable,if so which would be the best way or tool to use to cut the vase out.
When i seem to go past a certain depth on the inside of a bowl i start to get bad chatter,vibration,so with something as deep as a vase just wondered what tool to use to get that deep and flatten the bottom out :?: :?:
Also it will be in the front window so there will be lots of sunlight on it,if were lucky.
The vase is 10" tall straight x 4" dia.
Any recommendations for timber type.
Paul.J.

Hi Paul.

The idea is more than feasible, as long as you leave enough space between wood and glass incase the wood gets wet and swells.

If it was me I would go down the centre with a BIG fostner bit on a extension bar, at slow speed. Then use a deep hollowing tool to open the hole to the size required.

If you don't own a deep hollowing tool one can be made using 3/4" bright mild bar with a round 1/4" HSS cutting bit inserted into the end, either pointing straight ahead or at 45deg. When going that deep you need the thickest shaft you can handle, and it makes it a lot easier using a small cutting tip.

I have a couple of these and rather than make wood handles for them I cut the bar to length and used sponge tape from cycle handle bars to cover the handle section.

I can't think of any wood that likes sitting in full sunlight, they all seem to fade/change colour, or at worse split.

Good luck with your project.

Paul, if you don't fancy deep hollowing, how about using this method of building up the depth, say in 75-100mm sections.

You can hollow as you go then and inside finish will not be too critical anyway because it will not be seen.

_________

I would go for something like Ash, because the sun fade would not be that obvious and if you juxtaposition the grain directions should be crack resistant.

Hello Paul,

I often turn vases to put a glass tube into. I first rough down the wood to the required diameter and the use a forstner bit with a 20cm-extension to drill a hole for the tube about one or two millimetres wider than the tube to allow for wood movement. That done I finish the form with the wood held - at least with small vases - only with a spigot in my versa chuck. When the vase is finished I put a small rubber ring on the tube, bevor I put into the vase so that it will not wobble. Below is an example of the vases I make...

Uli

ulrichl_1174630555.jpg

Thanks Tam/Chas/Ulrich.
Some good ideas there for the future. :)
Nice vases Ulrich :D
I haven't tried deep hollowing as yet,and seeing as how i need to do 4" diameter,and 10" deep i think i'll try Chas's method.Seems a safe way for now.Until i feel brave enough.
No doubt i will post a piccy or two when done :)
Paul.J.

Nice work Uli, love the elegant shape and the wood, I may have to do a copy of them. :D

Back