Vacuum chucks are great until...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanh

Established Member
Reaction score
... your electrics trip out :shock:

Luckily the lathe was stopped and all turning had been completed - it's a big, heavy bowl and would have done some damage even though it was only turned at max 500rpm. It would have been difficult to centre up again mid turn but it shouldn't be too critical for sanding.
The chuck I was using was a decent size and had a good seal so the bowl didn't drop immediately but I didn't have my wits about me and wasn't able to get a hand on it before it dropped to the floor. Hopefully the dent in it's rim will come out with a bit of steam treatment.

Now, time to make myself a large vacuum reservoir tank so I'll have more time if this happens again. And maybe I should start taping pieces to the chuck as well, just in case.

Hi,

Povided you have a decent size chuck / work piece ratio (as you describe above) then normally the lathe stops before you run out of suck so objective no. 1 - safety is a tick.

Thereafter you are right in that it is about saving any damage to the piece. I believe Bob Chapman who has written much on this, used an old style milk churn as a resovior but I think these are no longer scrap and would be expensive. Tape imho is a pita always and residue can effect some finishes.

Not sure how viable / expensive a UPS would be for a vac pump - would not need to last long so small one would probably be ok?

BRGds
Simon

Sorry for the delay. Here are some photos of my home made system...

R0012034-3.jpg

Handwheel uses the NovaDVR original hand wheel, some thin mouse mat for seals, wood internals, sealed bearing at the outside end, sealed bearing where the wood insert meets the inside edge of the hand wheel, standard copper water pipe running through the construction and ending at the inside edge of the bearing.

R0012033-3.jpg

Outside view of the hand wheel showing the bearing, copper pipe and mouse mat.

R0012111-2.jpg

You don't actually need any of this but it's useful!
On/off switch (with a light to remind you that the vacuum is on) - saves you reaching to the vacuum pump switch.
The clear tubing is special vacuum tubing with wire strengthening (not sure how important this type is but I got it from the vacuum pump people).
The brass fittings are standard compression type from B&Q.
White plastic tubing from same source.
To the left below the gauge is a small length of tubing which has a home-made air filter constructed from vacuum cleaner filter.
Vacuum gauge from Ebay - new@99p + £2.75 P&P. Bargain! Very useful for checking if you have a leak in your system during construction and in use. Also indicates how good a hold you have on your piece and how gentle you need to be with your cuts.
The valve top right is a gas tap from B&Q again.
The silver connector was from the bargain bin at B&Q - £1.

R0012113-2.jpg

Back of one of my chucks.
Mounted on a Record faceplate. I cut a recess into the wood the exact size of the faceplate and then placed a layer of mouse in it before placing the faceplate.
The 8 screws are as big as would fit through the holes but make sure they don't come through the other side of the wood. The area around the head of each screw was painted with some sort of sealer from the shed (can't remember which!). I was probably being paranoid about loosing vacuum through them.
The 4 other screws hold the front side of the chuck in place.

R0012112-2.jpg

The yellow tube is, I believe, gas pipe. Really useful stuff as it's strong, can be turned easily, can be screwed.
I cut a recess into the wood for inserting the pipe.
Put polyurethane glue into the recess before placing the tube and screwing it into place from behind.
Put a bead of sealant around the inside join of the pipe and the wood.
Once that's done seal the wood. I used varnish as that's what was spare.

The pump is the smallest one of these. I can't remember how much it cost. There are plenty of pumps on Ebay but I don't know much about them.
The chuck above is about 20cm across and if a piece has a good seal I can't remove it using as much force as I dare to try with. I have 2 smaller chucks - one of ~15 cm and one of ~10. The smaller one won't hold for anything other than sanding, although I did once get a good enough hold to turn with. I know this is down to the surface area but I can't help wondering if a stronger pump would help.

For holding the work I place a piece of thin neoprene mouse mat (2 for £1 at the bargain shop) against the chuck, hold the work against it and then switch on the pump. If it's not centred release some vacuum with the valve until you can move the piece a little, close the valve.

I don't use the system a lot but it is useful for removing chucking points. Most of the things I use it for could be done with other (cheaper!) methods but the vacuum chuck is pretty quick. For the platter challenge I had a thin blank that I didn't want to waste any of by using chuck points so I thought I'd try my hand at just using this system and not bothering with a regular chuck. Luckily it worked. I could have gone down the glue block route but I wanted to do it there and then.

[I was only using B&Q because it's easier there to walk round and try to fit random components together]

Attachments

• R0012033-3.jpg
    R0012033-3.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 927
  • R0012034-3.jpg
    R0012034-3.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 927
  • R0012111-2.jpg
    R0012111-2.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 927
  • R0012112-2.jpg
    R0012112-2.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 927
  • R0012113-2.jpg
    R0012113-2.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 927
I don't trust 'em, holding something just by sucking on it doesn't seem right 8) , especially a piece of wood that can change shape even as you work on it.

I wouldn't use it for anything thin or anything still wet. Also, don't apply finish whilst still under vacuum as it may well suck it through the pores and you'd be there all day!

HI Duncan
A reservoir is a must for a vacuum setup. I built one for my lathe which fortunately has a hollow headstock spindle which just uses my shop vac for the vacuum supply and never had anything fly off (he says touching wood!). I do tend to use it just for the final stages ie sanding.shaping the foot etc though!
Steve

I'm in the process of waiting for an old calor gas bottle for making a reservoir. The only downside will be having to wait longer for the vacuum to be created to hold to wood

duncanh":303jmw2e said:
I cut a recess into the wood the exact size of the faceplate and then placed a layer of mouse in it before placing the faceplate.
I think the animal rights people might be a little unhappy reading this... :shock: :D :D

Thanks for the description of the vacuum chuck though.

gasmansteve":2umjeel0 said:
HI Duncan
A reservoir is a must for a vacuum setup. Steve

I am not sure I agree with you on this Steve - I would not put someone off making / using a system without one. It is probably desirable but I don't think it is essential.

if you have a good enough hold to allow turning of the piece then by definition a reasonable seal has been achieved provided you are not relying on a huge pump moving tonnes of air a minute! As atmospheric pressure does not run off the mains, even on loss of power the hold will be plenty good enough to allow a safe run-down.

No doubt after time hold will be lost and the chuck let go but the risk is to the piece only not the operator. The same will be true even with a reservoir of course, only with a longer time available.

However, normal caveats apply regarding internet advice and making sure YOU are confident of the safety of your system and methods of work!

BRgds
S

Latest posts

Back