Using what you know...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the weekend I cut down a knackered conifer, and was cutting the bigger branches
up for firewood (saw horse + Tyzack bow saw).

The saw was binding/pinching in the cut very badly, and it was hard work.
I spent around 20 minutes of misery at this, because I knew I couldn't
sharpen a hardpoint Bahco blade.

I then realized that putting loads of extra SET on the teeth would be easy. I had
a mental block that sharpening/setting a saw form an indivisible macro process. :oops:

So I plied forth with the trusty Eclipse (one of the modern coarse models).

Much better.

BugBear

Sawing wet wood is horrible, isn't it?

You're absolutely right about the blindingly obvious staring you in the face but not seeing it. It's happened to me often. I once spent about a week making fancy brass lid stays for a toolchest, because I couldn't find any big enough commercial ones. Some time later, I saw a picture of a toolchest lid 'stayed' with a length of small-link chain, two washers and two woodscrews. Felt like a right pillock, I can tell you!

Still, my stays are WAY posher than theirs! 8)

bugbear":cgbxceph said:
Over the weekend I cut down a knackered conifer, and was cutting the bigger branches
up for firewood (saw horse + Tyzack bow saw).

The saw was binding/pinching in the cut very badly, and it was hard work.
I spent around 20 minutes of misery at this, because I knew I couldn't
sharpen a hardpoint Bahco blade.

I then realized that putting loads of extra SET on the teeth would be easy. I had
a mental block that sharpening/setting a saw form an indivisible macro process. :oops:

So I plied forth with the trusty Eclipse (one of the modern coarse models).

Much better.

BugBear

You were using the correct blade for wet wood were you? If so, then it sounds like you should be investing in a new one pretty soon.

I seem to know less and less as I get older - in particular I am constantly coming across great suggestions to avoid problems or to save time, but I only ever remember them immediately after I have the problem or take unnecessarily long at something or other. Quite often I forget the second time round too, but after the third botch-up it tends to sink in. I suppose this is how expertise is made!

swb58":1y2qy1eh said:
You were using the correct blade for wet wood were you? If so, then it sounds like you should be investing in a new one pretty soon.

Not the ideal blade, no; it was peg tooth which is multi purpose.

And it's getting blunt.

But a few minutes with a saw set made it work just fine. Cost/benefit as always, with a side order of sense of achievement.

BugBear

You can sharpen them, a little bit, with those cheap diamond needle files. The trouble is that the things I usually want to sharpen have tiny teeth (backsaws), and these days I need a head-worn microscope or something, never mind finding a suitably-cutting tool to do the sharpening.

Getting older is really carp.

Very good point BB, one of those 'blindingly obvious now that you've said it' things, but I've been in the same situation and not come up with it, so thank you.

On the subject of cutting green wood, I had a bash at a bit of green ash with a Japanese Temagari yesterday. Three inch round, twenty seconds flat! :shock:

I just had my conifer hedge cut down too, although by a tree surgeon as it was a fairly large hedge (5ft deep, 8ft high and about 20ft long). Man - the smell of the conifer as it's going through the chopper is AMAZING!

Back