Using Sprayguns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave261266

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I was hoping to start spray finishing my stuff (I'm not very good with the brush and it's irritating that no matter how nice the piece is, it can all be cocked up royally by a bit of bad brush work).

I bought a couple of spray guns a few years back in order to do this and never got round to using them, one is gravity fed and the other is suction fed.

I was going to have a play with them this weekend but once they were unwrapped I noticed that the connector to the compressor was different to that of my nail gun which is what I use the compressor for. I assume that I do not need a special compressor ? Anyone know what I need here, is it a special hose ? or would I just need some kind of connector.

Secondly, are there any finishes that are a definite no no to use with a sprayer ?

Many Thanks

You should find on the bottom of the spraygun a male PCL fitting which is the norm. This then fits into a female PCL fitting on the hose so you can change guns without losing air from the line. If this is not the case then you may have 1/4" internal threads in the base of the gun where a PCL connector will fit. Always fit the male to the gun and the female to the hose this way it seals the hose when the gun is removed. The hose should be the standard 1/4" hose that you probably have for your nail gun. As for what to spray anything really but it needs to be thinned if the gun is not a HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) Of course it depnds on a lot of things like what needle and fluid tip setup the gun has and of course what you are sprayng. Best advice is to buy the connectors and some cheap paint and have a go. I am sure if you have any problems there is plenty of help on here. HTH. :wink:

PCL fittings look like this. The other standard is Uni which is a shorter and thicker connector which looks like this. Uni connectors came fitted to the cheap air tools that were bundled with my equally cheap compressor. As Mailee says, PCL fittings are the standard in the spray painting industry, though it probably doesn't matter which you choose as each will be compatible with the 1/4" bsp threaded inlets on your tools, but you need to choose one as they are not interchangable. I went for PCL fittings because they were available from my local Halfords, though that is not the most cost effective way to buy. The swiveling PCL fittings are also useful on spray guns and nailers when working in tight corners.

ps. converter couplingsare also available so you can use both types.

Back