Using rebate plane cutting tools as form tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

My first post to this forum so please be kind. I have a Jet JWL1220 lathe and I have really enjoyed being able to make the odd this and that. I recently came to aquire a selection of what I think are cutting tools for a rebate plane (attached) when a friend's granpa passed away. My first thought was "hold on, I could use these in my lathe as form tools". So my idea is to clamp these in the tool rest (I also have a metalworking lathe so this should be pretty easy) and let them form nice bevels & beads. Really I'm after advice please - has this been done before? Does anyone think this is a bad idea? Should the tools be positioned in the rubbing or trailing position? (I think trailing). I'm not sure what kind of steel these are but I imagine if they are strong enough for a plane they should be alright as long as the clamping holds the tool fully.

The purists in the craft will probably scoff, saying that this is cheating, but for long or repetitive spindle turning I can see this being really handy

cheers
monkey x
photo-1(3).jpg

Attachments

• photo-1(3).jpg
    photo-1(3).jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,318
I've no idea if they would work as you suggest but they look like a full set of cutters for a Stanley 55. So you could sell them on eBay for £50 to £100 and spend the proceeds on some tools designed for use on a lathe.

I doubt anyone would call it cheating, the more likely response will be about safety.

Sell them if they are 55 set worth a lot of money I watch a full Stanley 55 go for 500 quid as AndyT said proceeds can go to new tools which is a win win

As they are no doubt carbon steel they will not keep a sharp edge very long used on a wood lathe.
They are designed and tempered to work in a hand tool not with the possible forces and abrasive contact that could result from applying them to a fast rotating lathe work piece.

If you are tempted then I would advise that you support and clamp securely very close to the cutting edge.

A much more valuable asset as a complete and undamaged set as has been mentioned I would have thought.

Hi Monkey,
On a slightly different tack, I think that the finish you'll get off theses tools when working with anything other than close-grained timbers, such a exotics or boxwood, will be pretty grim too - because you'll be scraping everything. You'll then spend ages sanding out the tear-out which will have gained you nothing.

Sell them on ebay, buy yourself a 3/8" spindle gouge and a 3/4" skew and some cheap timber and turn some beads and coves with them until proficient. You won't regret it.

HTH
Jon

The edge shape will be wrong. To scrape wood you need a bevel of about 80 degrees with plenty of metal under the edge, much like a metal cutting tool. These will be thin and beveled at 30 degrees.

Take everyones advice and sell them on ebay and gets some woodturning tools, you can never beat using the correct tool for the job. it always pays off. good luck.

Well blimey! I do believe this to be a near full set of Stanley 55 cutters and after doing a bit of googling it would be silly to use these as I have suggested and perhaps better to flog them off, being the consensus.

If you look up "chessmen turning" on the youtube, you will see what kind of thing I was thinking. It may be better for me to make the appropriate form tool as and when using Andy T's recommendations.
Cheers

Thanks

Hi Monkey,
Is this the one you mean...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dKcbbZ_m-M ?

If so then I can see that it might look tempting but how many chess pieces are you thinking of making and what wood will you be using?

IMHO, by the time you've made his form tools you could have turned at least one set of chessmen like that traditionally and they would be unique (i.e. all subtly different rather than absolutely identical).

With apologies to Crocodile Dundee, that's not a chess set though, this is a chess set...

wp6279931f_05_06.jpg

...turned by the great Bill Jones although admittedly he does make use of some rather unconventional tools at times and isn't afraid to do his fair share of scraping to get the job done. :lol:

HTH
Jon

Yes Jon, that's the one, thanks.

I'm in no hurry to do this. I just thought that I could make good use if some tools I have acquired as I am unlikely to use them in a plane and as for chess pieces, your right, individuality is nice. My first project with them would have been to make a Guiro (South Anerican percussion instrument - hollow cylinder with beads running all the way down, noise made by running another stick against it) as the bead shaped tools would have been ideal. Although thinking about it, it would also be a great way to hone my beading skills.

Thanks for the advice

Back