using projectors upside down.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martlewis

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's one for the AV nuts out there :)

I have a Sharp projector that I aquired. It has the option to project upside down and changes the keystone so that when projected from ceiling height the image is square.

But... On the bottom of the projector is a sticker that says not to use it upside down!

Granted the obvious answer is not to use it upside down, but in that case why have the upside down modes? Also I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be used upside down. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter as I really want it ceiling mounted but don't want to have to sell and buy another one?

Cheers all.

p.s. Yes it is relevant to a woodworking forum... I want to watch my woodworking shows BIG! lol

What model projector is it ?
I presume you have acquired it second hand? It sounds to me as though someone has added the sticker for reasons best known to themselves. Perhaps the lamp housing is loose or one of the panels etc, alternately it may be that the kind of lamp installed will not work at optimum levels or will be damaged (life shortened) by being run inverted. Ive spent many a year (most of my working life in fact) installing and spec' ing projectors and associated kit and to date have never come across one that couldn't be flown inverted if required. As I say tell us the model and we might be able to find out a bit more.

Cheers Mike

martlewis":rmxenk9a said:
But... On the bottom of the projector is a sticker that says not to use it upside down!

Granted the obvious answer is not to use it upside down,

Actually it doesn't need to be upside down if used from the ceiling, just suspended or placed on a ceiling hung platform still the right way up!

Page 8 of the manual says not to use the thing upside down as well.
"this can cause personal injury due to rise in internal temperatures"

Which I take to mean that inverting the lamp may cause it to burn out, and when these lamps burn out they can explode. If the projector has ventilation slots in the top (or elsewhere) the molten glass will come out on top of them sat below watching Norm.

PLus at almost £300 for a replacement lamp, theyre not something to be replaced often

Cheers Mike

Back