Using cooker extractor over lathe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Reaction score
Anyone used a cooker extraction hood over their lathe, vented directly outside to deal with sanding dust. Will it work, suggestions welcome.

It will not work even slightly if you are talking about a domestic hood. It will work if you are using a close coupled commercial hood at full whack, but probably will not be great for the fan and will be unbelievably noisy.

I use a hood over my lathe, on an adjustable stand, and connected to my Jet cyclone. It works to some extent.

It will not work even slightly if you are talking about a domestic hood. It will work if you are using a close coupled commercial hood at full whack, but probably will not be great for the fan and will be unbelievably noisy.

I use a hood over my lathe, on an adjustable stand, and connected to my Jet cyclone. It works to some extent.
Thanks

In my new kitchen I spent a while getting an extractor that would work and not be deafening. Cost a lot more than my dust extractor.
It does work though

Maybe a way to try it out, if you have a cooker hood.

Go to kitchen, turn hood fan on, get some flour on your fingers, click your fingers, where does the dust go? I doubt it will be upwards.

Something to consider. If the hood is above the lathe and you the dust is drawn up past your face. If you place it behind the air is drawn away. Problems with kitchen fans is getting enough airflow without spending as much as a powerful DC.

For what it is worth the plant I was working in was replacing a number of natural gas heaters that were burnt through. They each had a pair of 16" diameter fans, each with a 1/3 hp motor. I scored a bunch and took a pair with mounting frame to my fathers place. We removed the boards on the wall behind the lathe, leaving the studs, and mounted the fans side by side behind the lathe. With both fans on some shavings made it to the floor around the lathe but the rest and all the dust were expelled to the outdoors. He lived on 20 acres in the woods so there were no neighbours to annoy. Standing at the lathe was like being outside on a hat loosing windy day it worked so well. He had an old refrigerator door bolted to the wall so he could close it when he wasn't turning. It was good from about May through September before the cold and snow made it unpleasant to work. Even one of those fans would be enough to ventilate and remove the dust from your shop. These barn fans would are the same and you should be able to find similar. Agriculture Exhaust Agricultural Barn Wall Mounted Greenhouse Fans

Pete

Maybe a way to try it out, if you have a cooker hood.

Go to kitchen, turn hood fan on, get some flour on your fingers, click your fingers, where does the dust go? I doubt it will be upwards.
Great idea, and result was flour all over kitchen floor. Thanks.

Inspector makes a very good point you can use a lot more power to pull dust up into the air you are going to breath, down and away will be cheaper and quieter, I have seen this mistake made in a lot of professional situations particularly kitchens. and welding bays. If you are going to test use baby powder it's not as heavy as flour also get a strong light to shine across. A good system will pull the powder from just behind where your head will be.

Cooker hoods do make good ambient air filters though. I've made a couple by cutting down the chassis to fit a home made box that will take commercially available filters.

Cooker hoods do make good ambient air filters though.
I'd imagine this is the key point, Sachakins - are you thinking to use the hood to collect the majority of dust that comes off the workpiece, or are you thinking to remove just the tiny (and most dangerous) particles that escape your primary dust extraction, that float freely in the air for ages? If the latter, it sounds like a reasonable thing to try.

I'd imagine this is the key point, Sachakins - are you thinking to use the hood to collect the majority of dust that comes off the workpiece, or are you thinking to remove just the tiny (and most dangerous) particles that escape your primary dust extraction, that float freely in the air for ages? If the latter, it sounds like a reasonable thing to try.
My existing dust collection does a reasonable job, but in strong light you can see a small haze, which I assumed was the superfine dust. So yes you are correct. Maybe worth a punt if I can get a freebie hob extractor somewhere.

Back