urgent pulley help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWD

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

does anyone know where i'll be able to get a poly-v pulley with a 19mm bore? alternatively re-sizing options? drill press and 19mm bit? i'm at a loss with this folks!!

resizing- anybody with a metal lathe and a means of holding the pulley should be able to do this quite easily.

Can you widen an existing pulley bore with a step cutter drill bit? It should keep the hole centred...

thats what im thinking but just with a regular bit... the end of the bit should centre it automatically, with it only being an increase of 3mm in diameter hopefully it'll stay with the original bore as it is the easiest pathway for the bit - then meticulously file back the keyway slot to fit... kill me now

if this is a poor idea, does anyone in the manchester area have the necessary metal lathe? i have a 19mm engineering bit and will pay handsomely in cash or biscuits :)

JWD":2jcy86m2 said:
thats what im thinking but just with a regular bit... the end of the bit should centre it automatically, with it only being an increase of 3mm in diameter hopefully it'll stay with the original bore as it is the easiest pathway for the bit - then meticulously file back the keyway slot to fit... kill me now

I'm not a metal-worker by any means, but whenever I've tried that, the bit catches and rips the workpiece around. Doesn't work well in my experience.

The step drills are pretty cheap (under £10 on amazon for example) and are designed for a range of diameters. Once you have a solid 19mm hole then you can finish off with a 19mm bit. Hardest thing will be to find 19mm, as most are in divisions of 2mm.

Are you sure it's nominally 19mm, and not 3/4 inches (~ 19.05mm)? You might do better with an imperial step drill bit.

Drill bit alone is probably going to leave a bad fit and finish. Post a request for help in the General Metalworking section of the forum. Someone there may be able to put it in their metal lathe and open the hole or put it on a milling machine to open the hole with slightly smaller drill bit followed with a reamer or they can do it with a boring bar. Be sure to mention the pulley size and material. good luck.

Pete

Latest posts

Back