urgent - finish to apply over paint?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_hot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have just done a little project with the children where they have sponged washable paint (which will apparently not come out from porous surfaces like wood which is good) over an unfinished wooden bowl. I want to seal in the paint and give a slightly smoother finish to it. I was expecting to be able to use something like Chestnut Hard Wax oil however reading the tin it says to only use on unsealed wood.

Can I still use the Oil or will it get annoyed with the water based paint finish? If not what can I use?

Many thanks

Miles
PS this is urgent as I need an answer before we go back into the garage tomorrow to finish off the present for their Mother :) Due to the urgency I'm cross posting to the turning, general and finishing boards so I apologise in advance :)

yes you can apply wax over water based paint. But it has risk to the wax to resolve some of your water based paint.
It is better if you apply a thin coat of clear coat on your paint, You can apply a thin shellac, lacquer or varnish to seal and protect your paint.

Good luck

wisno

Latest posts

Back