Upgrade Stanley Blade to a Quangsheng

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheshirechappie":2epimlh0 said:
Opinion is divided as to whether a slightly thicker iron and/or cap-iron improves the plane. All I can say on that score is that my Record 07 is a better plane with a Cliffie iron and stay-set cap iron in it than with the original iron and cap-iron. That's not an absolute proof of anything, just my experience.
That makes two of us. I treated both my Record No. 04-SS and Stanley No. 5 planes to new Ray Iles 2.5mm O1 irons (i.e. the thin ones) as a test. These irons are a direct replacement with no modding required. There was a noticeable improvement, even though both the planes were early post WWII with cast blades. The No.5 in particular benefited when I replaced the chipbreaker with a thicker QS one. Now convvinced that the Stanley No. 5-1/2 and No. 7 both need the same treatment

Prawn_Cracker":2epimlh0 said:
I'll get 2mm skimmed off and report back!
CStanford":2epimlh0 said:
Not worth the trouble, but good luck anyway.
I've got to agree. when you skim any casting which has stabilised there's always the possibility that things will get worse because you've released stresses that were being kept in check by the surface layer

On the question of upgrades, is anyone able to suggest a good replacement handle/knob set in a fancy hardwood? (well, if not "fancy" at least not beech or plastic)

Old Tools do replacement rosewood handle and knob set at a fait prices

The Old Tool Store

Whitehaven Farm

Boston Road

Horncastle

Lincolnshire

LN9 6HU

Tel: 01507 525 697

Give them a call!

hopefully you've figured this out by now? on a slightly different note, do you ever find that the QS chip breaker slides around even when tightened onto the blade? mine does a bit, although might be because I polished the back

Back