Upcoming project and an experiment with a design tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks fine to me.
Sketchup is a woodworkers dream-and now its free we really are laughing! :wink:
Good luck with the new project
Philly :D

That looks to be a fun project to build, Paul. Please take lots of WIP pictures as there's lots of us out there (like me :oops: ) who aspire to building something like this.

I see you created it on a Mac (??). Have you got a hotline to Google-Galactic-Hq as I see that the Mac version is **coming soon** ?

Cheers

Roger

Hi Paul

Assuming this is a csheet materials project then fundamentally it is three boxes on a pair of stretchers. So the drawers could be hung on slides fixed to the sides of the middle box. If the backs are dropped into grooves and a good fit the whole structure will be very rigid. Face frames can be added onto the front of a frameless carcass quite easily (even B&Q are now flogging kitchen doors/frames like that) so you can easily do tham although it won't look as modern if you go that way. I suppose it depends on the look of your kitchen. As for hinges I have a soft spot for the Soss hinge - modern, but different. Do you intend to make this as a solid wood project or a sheet materials project?

Scrit

Roger Sinden":2o25jubj said:
I see you created it on a Mac (??). Have you got a hotline to Google-Galactic-Hq as I see that the Mac version is **coming soon** ?

Nono, the webpage was made on a Mac, it (iWeb) inserts that automatically and I never bothered to remove it. Mind you, I use Linux, Windows and Mac daily, even I lose track of what I did on what sometimes. I am looking forward to the Mac version though.

Scrit":2fjbdepd said:
Assuming this is a csheet materials project then fundamentally it is three boxes on a pair of stretchers.

You know, for some reason I never thought of doing it in 3 different boxes; I was stuck in the big sheet w/dado's scheme. 3 boxes would be quite a bit easier. Now you have me thinking, with respect to method.

Scrit":2fjbdepd said:
As for hinges I have a soft spot for the Soss hinge - modern, but different. Do you intend to make this as a solid wood project or a sheet materials project?

Those are nice hinges indeed; didn't know about them. This will likely be in sheet materials due to cost, but also because it is a "get it done" project (i.e. the g/f wants it ...)

Many thanks for the suggestions, they give excellent ideas to contemplate.

I used those Zysa hinges on my chisel cabinet, also available from Woodfit btw.
Although easier to fit than the Soss, alignment is critical. I used a doweling jig to ensure the locating holes on door and frame were exactly opposite each other.

Andy

Back