Unknown plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesmiler73

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an unknown plane that resembles a shave but has replaceable thickness blades and depth stops.
It looks like it is used to cut grooves in circular frames.

Any ideas or make/model would be great
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2487.JPG
    IMG_2487.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 843
Quirk router. It's in rather nice condition, too; nice home for it.

It cuts and cleans up narrow grooves parallel with an edge, which might be straight or curved, hence the variety of fences provided. The resulting quirk can be infilled with stringing, or left as part of a decorative moulding.

Well it looks like a Preston 1388P adjustable circular quirk router, but some Preston designs turn up with no markings on, to the frustration of eBay sellers. The unmarked ones might have been made by Preston for sale under other names or they might have been copies after the patents ran out. I've never seen it proved either way.

Many thanks
Couldn't remember but all nudged back after your comments.
Going through all my tools and have quite a few collectible quirky ones tucked away.
Really should downsize

That appears to be a (probably Preston) quirk router with a "JK" monogram on it.

Interesting.

BugBear

Mmmm I didn't zoom in before, I wonder if its the JK?

Pete

thesmiler73":2yqqkgzb said:
Many thanks
Going through all my tools and have quite a few collectible quirky ones tucked away.
Really should downsize

You can't say things like that with out posting pictures.

Pete

Racers":1ld3sehq said:
thesmiler73":1ld3sehq said:
Many thanks
Really should downsize

You can't say things like that with out posting pictures.

Pete

Agreed - more tools! More pictures!

BugBear

Back