Units and benches made from salvage WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack55

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, having spent last year rebuilding my workshop I needed to fit it out, only after splashing out on a new table saw It would have to be done reasonably cheap.

TS2.jpg

I also bought this SIP lathe off Ebay but the stand is a bit naff and takes up space.
lathe-sml.jpg

The challenge then is to put in some storage units and worktops to store all the bits and bobs we accumulate, whilst trying not to use shelving.

I managed to get hold of some boards which look like scandinavian redwood? They came from a salvage centre and cost me £7.50p each. their 9ft long over 12"" wide and 2" thick, theres 12 in total.

boards-sml.jpg

The great slice out of each of them was a bit of a put off at first but I thought I could find a solution. I came up with the idea of cutting them into three pieces and gluing up two of them to give me two boards. It actually made them easier to machine.

board2.jpg

board3.jpg

The starting point was to replace the lathe stand and sit it on top of a unit to make better use of the space underneath the lathe. The height of the present stand set the height of the unit. I raided my storage shed and pulled out some of the scraps I have been saving for a rainy day.
The frame is some old 40mm square i salvaged from my old workshop, sitting on a 18mm chip board T&G flooring again from my old workshop.
frame-sml.jpg

Some draw frames made from bits of the kids old bedroom furniture, (thought it may be useful someday), along with some 1/2" ply from the inside walls of the old workshop.

drawbox-sml.jpg

drawbox%20sdie-sml.jpg

ending up with a carcass.

drawsinplace-sml.jpg

A face frame was made from the machined up boards, using dowels at the joints.

faceframe-sml.jpg

along with the top

topglued-sml.jpg

topinpos-sml.jpg

The draws are also made out of odds and ends with the joints being a simple rabbit and tongue .

I used 1/2" stock and a quarter inch router bit to cut the joints. I simply fit a 1/4" spacer to the fence of the router and route the ends of the draws. Then remove the spacer and route the sides. This way I only set the router once.

box1.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

box5.jpg

box6.jpg

assembled.jpg

The end is left open as I am coming down the side wall just started on that still lots left to do.

Thanks for posting this thread, Jack.

I have a Draper lathe that I bought a couple of years ago and it has been stuck under a bench since I got it because I have not had anywhere to set it up. This has been somewhat frustrating at times and I am almost ready to set it up now. I have the space, just need to make some kind of stand for it (it didn't come with one).

I was thinking of having a go at making a metal one be welding some old metal together that I have knocking about in the garage, but metal working isn't really my forte, so I might just copy your idea if you don't mind.

On thing is that where I plan to site my lathe it will have to be moveable so a cabinet like your could have some wheels incorporated into the base. As long as I have a way of locking it in place it should be fine.

Once again, thanks for the inspiration.

regards

Brian

Hi Jack,

The workshop and benches are looking good.

How are you getting on with your new saw? I have the same and it still needs some tweaking.

Chris.

Hi Chris the table saw seems to be fine. Everything seem to be set up at the factory at least the blade to the table seems fine. Had a few adjustments to do on the sliding table. However, since I was using a TRITON Workstation before this is bound to seem good. Still got the factory blade in, but then while I am messing about with old scraps and salvaged wood I may as well keep it in.

Nice thread

I love these 'using up bits of stuff i've had lying about for ages in case they came in useful' wips

I've got loads of stuff that might come in useful - I just never seem to quite find anything usefull to do with it

keep the piccys coming!

Cheers

The router table is made from some 1" chip board which was supplied as shelving but was the wrong size. I managed to get it before the skip did. The good thing with the Triton router table is with a few twists of two knobs the router disengages from the table. This means I can lift off the router table and fit a work top when the router isnt being used.

Routertable4.jpg

routertable5.jpg

Put the lathe on top of the bench. I sat it on some rubber matting.

latheonbench1.jpg

Jack,

Not too sure about your lathe, but if it was mine I'd raise it up off the bench enough to get my hand under the bed so I could loosen/tighten the nuts on the tail stock, tool rest, etc..

Ryan

Latest posts

Back