Understairs cabinets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently finished these understairs cabinets. The stairwell is actually in the sitting room so it had to look nice. Cabinets are made from 18mm Birch Ply finished with Barford's Aquacote, Facing timber is tulipwood painted with a Dulux Trade Eggshell (Tuscan Treasures 5 if anyone cares!).

Sketch up drawings:

weston_5c.sized.jpg

weston_6.sized.jpg

To show template I made to ensure accuracy over the two different angles.
weston_7skp2.sized.jpg

Without doors
understairs1a.sized.jpg

With doors - which were made with loose tenons because of the acute angles.
west19.sized.jpg

west9.sized.jpg

west10.sized.jpg

west16.sized.jpg

west17.sized.jpg

west11.sized.jpg

west13.sized.jpg

Two full extension drawers for filing cabinets
west14.sized.jpg

I'm glad its finished, it was a royal pain to make esp considering that any deviation from the correct angles would have been very obvious. Still the client's happy and wants more work done :D

Cheers

Tim

Tim, NICE JOB, this is really great =D>

What is the reason for the space in the faceframe (thus storage) directly under the post sticking down from the stairs. Is it decorative or you had a constrain?

Good tip about taking the shape with the batons :D

Cracking job tim.

I can only imagine how many expletives were issued trying to get that to work!

Note to self - don't lest missus see this post, I haven't the patience for that kind of "we could make of this awkward space" construction :p

Les

Super job, Tim.

What made you decide to fit three hinges on the bottom door? To keep the edges true as there's not that much weight is there??

Thanks for the kind words guys.

CYC":39hsvmo0 said:
What is the reason for the space in the faceframe (thus storage) directly under the post sticking down from the stairs. Is it decorative or you had a constrain?

The reason is because of the bottom of that newel post. If the spacer wasn't there then the right hand door would hit it on opening. If the door was hinged the other way, it wouldn't be able to open fully and would also come perilously close to the ceiling (what you can't tell from the pics is that the ceiling slopes down from back to front there as well :roll: )

Les Mahon":39hsvmo0 said:
I can only imagine how many expletives were issued trying to get that to work!

Note to self - don't lest missus see this post, I haven't the patience for that kind of "we could make of this awkward space" construction

First point - I doubt you could imagine - several elements had to be taken outside and taught a lesson!:x

Second point - Quite right - the only way to keep sane with this kind of thing is knowing that there's a big fat cheque at the end of it! \:D/

Edit: Roger missed your question: I often fit 3 hinges on longer doors - its 850mm high - it doesn't cost much more and it makes it close better

Cheers

Tim

Very nice - adding the doors totally transforms the look :D

Andrew (Quietly very impressed 8) )

Looks great !!! I always sigh when i turn up to a job and find out its a cupboard under the stairs :lol: I like the idea of the template , not thought of doing that before .

Very Nice,

It almost makes me want to rip out my understairs cupboard and do it properly - almost!
Andy

Very nice work - its obvious that it must have taken lots of precision work to get it to fit so snugly. Well done!

Adam

Lovely work Tim, not at all surprised that the client wants more when you work to that level

Latest posts

Back