Under stairs cupboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I made a start on my next job yesterday, some under stairs cupboards. These will have push to open doors in a shaker style and a book case with a set of drawers below. these are all in painted MDF again. I got as far as building the drawer unit carcass and the drawer fronts.

I then got all the rails and stiles cut for the doors and also for the book case sides. This included cutting the rebates for the Tonk strips.

Then on to the plinth for the book case.

Not bad for a day and a half's work. :D

All of my MDF carcasses are jointed with the Domino Keith. After being out of the shop yesterday I got back to this job today. I got the book case ready for primer.

Then I got cracking on the doors. Gave me a bit of a head scratching with the angles but got there in the end and had all four of them assembled.

Should get more done tomorrow and make a start on the framework. :D

Looks great Alan, do you over size your doors and shoot them in on site? Or just trust your measurements.

Cheers

I would normally shoot them in on site but with these being painted they are built to size. Having said that these doors will be lay on so not so much of a problem this time. They will also be 2" from the floor to allow for a carpet going down. :wink:

Plenty of room for adjustment then by the sounds of it! Yes, the angles do look a bit like one of those that would take a couple of attempts to get perfected. Must say, your shop looks really clean and tidy too. My old carpentry teacher used to say, tidy workshop, tidy work. And this certainly applies this time, not just this job of yours, but plenty of the others too! Great work.

Thanks Sim, but the workshop isn't as clean as it looks. :oops: I tidy up between jobs so I have room to move around. :lol: I got the book case unit painted and a test fit of the drawers.

I have started on the framework today and have the doors in paint. Should get those done tomorrow.

Those doors would have taken me a month and a small fortune in scrap MDF :)

I've been summoned home to paint some built in MDF cupboards. What's your recommended method for painting MDF ?

My recommended method is to spray them! :lol: Having said that I assume they are already in the house so this wouldn't be a good idea. If you are going to brush paint them I would recommend using Zinnser Bin as a primer sealer for the edges as it is brilliant at sealing the fluffy edges. Another advantage of using it is that it can be over coated with anything as it is shellac based. HTH.
I had yesterday afternoon off due to the nice weather and went in today to get all the pieces painted. I had a good day and got everything in paint and almost ready to go. I shall be fitting these next Wednesday so will be ready to go with it all. All of the insides won't be painted so I can build these on site which will be easier for me. :D Once everything was dry I got the tonk strips installed and tried the shelves. I also fitted the drawer unit to make sure nothing had moved. (Better safe than sorry)

Will pick up some 2" sq framing up on Monday and then it's ready to go. ;)

Fantastic job. Well done. I'm fitting a new kitchen and diner style seats in the dining room next year. The box/diner style seats will be MDF made to a Shaker style like your units.

You've done such a nice job.

I may have missed this so sorry, but how did you finish the units? Was it by paintbrush or did you spray paint them?

Jonny

Back