Ultrasonic Cleaner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lijongtao

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a recommendation for an Ultrasonic Cleaner.

I have one but it is very small and only for jewelry, bought from Aldi. I need a bigger one 10-20 for car and bike parts amongst other things.
I've done a little research and I'd like a dual-frequency one with a heater.

Does anyone use one and can recommend one, please?

Thank you

Got mine off Ebay, it was the cheapest of its size available, has the dial rather than digital display.
It works well. I did a fair bit of research and I could not see much functional variation in the cheaper machines unless you spend a large amount more for really posh ones.

Mine is good for cleaning my spray gun, which is why I got it. Its 30 litre with 6 transducers (is that the right name? ). Single frequency, with heater.

I found it best to add hot water as the heater will take ages to get it warm from cold, I add a kettle full of boiling to the 20 odd litres.
I am not sure dual frequency is that important, mine cleans amazingly with one.

Ollie

Got mine off Ebay, it was the cheapest of its size available, has the dial rather than digital display.
It works well. I did a fair bit of research and I could not see much functional variation in the cheaper machines unless you spend a large amount more for really posh ones.

Mine is good for cleaning my spray gun, which is why I got it. Its 30 litre with 6 transducers (is that the right name? ). Single frequency, with heater.

I found it best to add hot water as the heater will take ages to get it warm from cold, I add a kettle full of boiling to the 20 odd litres.
I am not sure dual frequency is that important, mine cleans amazingly with one.

Ollie
Hi Ollie, you got a link for it please? TIA.

Some rather wordy note on my experiences with ultrasonic baths.

About twenty years ago, small inexpensive ultrasonic baths started to appear, which made impressive claims about their cleaning capabilities. On impulse, I bought one for a tenner from Lidl – it went back for a refund the same day – useless for anything other than maybe cleaning a pair of earrings or such like. They cut out after three minutes, and the cavitation action is barely visible, with little in the way of an audible ‘fizz’ which arises from effective cavitation.

Having not learned from that experience I bought a so-called ‘professional’ bath from Maplin, the electronic gimmickry store that was, thinking that one might be better. It wasn’t, so it too went back. The problem with such cheapo baths is that while they may oscillate at ultrasonic frequencies, (generally 40 kHz) they don’t do so with sufficient amplitude to be effective – typically 20 - 30 Watts, and most have a maximum cut-off time of 3 to 4 minutes. I don't think they achieve anything that couldn't be achieved just as quickly and probably more effectively, with a toothbrush and detergent. That said, there are those who claim that they do an adequate job. A good test of effectiveness is to hold a piece of aluminium foil in the fluid and if pinholes don't appear in the foil within minutes, it's just a toy, which is all that most small baths for domestic use are.

Commercial/industrial ones tend to be from 70 Watts upwards, from about 2 Litres upwards in volume, and have a built-in heater, thermostat, and timer.

I continued to hanker after an effective bath and towards the end of 2012, I learned of Allendale Electronics, who supply professional small ultrasonic baths as used in hospitals, dental practices, GP practices, vets, laboratories, tattoo studios, jewellers, watch repairers, acupuncturists etc. A 2 Litre one to suit my needs was just over £100 back then – not cheap, but not expensive for what it does and how well it’s made. The ultrasonic power (at a frequency of 40 kHz) emitted by the transducer to the bath is 70 Watts, and it has 60-Watt thermostatic heater which is pre-settable up to 80 C. It has a built-in timer for up to 80 minutes, and all the settings are displayed on a digital display.

The model that I bought has since been superseded with a similar one but with additional features, such as ‘De-gas mode’ - used after a fluid change to rapidly remove air from the fluid so it can provide maximum cleaning effectiveness from the start of the cleaning cycle; ’Delicate mode’ - the cleaner runs at half power which provides a less aggressive cleaning action for fragile/delicate items, and ‘Full-power’ mode - a powerful deep clean that will clean heavily contaminated items.

Almost all ultrasonic baths are marketed on their (alleged!) liquid capacity - for example, 600mL, 1 Litre, 2 Litre and so on. A chum bought one which was described as '2 Litre'. He thought it looked too small to be of 2 Litre capacity, so he filled it with water up to the fill line and found that it contained only a little over 1 Litre. (It went back for a refund).

Out of curiosity, I decided to check the volume of my Allendale ‘2 Litre’ one.

The dimensions of the tank at the top are: 15cm x 14cm & 10cm deep. In describing the tank as '2 Litres' they appear to have simply multiplied those dimensions, which would equate to 2,100 CC. However, the inner corners of the tank are rounded, and the sides slope. There is a fill line which is 3cms below the top of the tank - all factors which reduces the capacity of the tank. When filled to the brim, the tank holds just 1.8 Litres, but when filled to the fill line, holds just 1.4 Litres. In Apart from it's inaccurate and misleading description, what really matters is the size of the wire basket into which items for cleaning are placed, as that further reduces the capacity. In mine, with the basket in place, it is 14 x 12cms at the top, and 7cms high to the fill line. Hence, the physical capacity of the basket in 1,176 CCs - about half that of the claimed capacity of the tank.

Really, the key point to bear in mind if thinking of buying an ultrasonic cleaner, is whether the basket capacity is large enough to contain whatever items you may need to place in it for cleaning. In my case, most of the items I've used it to clean are so small that they'd fall through the mesh of the basket so I put them in a small glass jar immersed in the liquid. (A basket is necessary to avoid damage to the tank, and has to be bought as an extra.). I use mine for cleaning small brass, aluminium and steel parts and knobs of vintage radio which I restore as a hobby.

Here's a 2 Litre 50W ultrasonic power, 100-Watts heating. £112.69 inc VAT:

2 Litre Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner Cavitek Professional 100W

3 Litre 100W ultrasonic power, 100-Watt heater. £149.96:

3 Litre Digital Ultrasonic Cleaner 100W

Hope that might be of interest when considering the pitfalls and in deciding what size of bath to buy.

Attachments

• Ultrasonc Bath dimensions.png
    Ultrasonc Bath dimensions.png
    262.2 KB · Views: 0
Langford ultrasonics are a British maker and supply to industry great piece of kit but in the size your wanting 20l plus not cheap

I have one of their smaller ones think it's 5l
20221007_160212.jpg

Last edited:
The conundrum with ultrasonic baths isn't so much the cost, but the cost benefit.

That's particularly so for hobbyists who may use the bath spasmodically, rather than commercial or industrial users who may have the bath in constant use. I don't want to start a 'beauty parade' of baths, but as the original query was about 10 - 20 Litre baths, I just wanted to say that Allendale do 20 Litre bath with eight transducers.

A point worth re-emphasising, (whatever the make or size), is that for all practical purposes, the capacity of the bath is invariably overstated, as explained in the sketch of my earlier post. You can't fill it above the fill line, and you can't really use the bath without a wire basket, or you risk damaging the bath over time. The material of the bath is usually 1mm thin stainless steel. (It has to be thin gauge or if thicker, it would dampen the cavitation). With the basket in place, that further reduces the volume of the bath. To take this Allendale '20 Litre' bath as an example: The basket internal dimensions are 46.5cms x 27cms x 11cms. That's 1,381 CCs, 13.8 Litres, and that is to the brim - not the fill line.

So, the stated volume does not reflect the reality of the manner in which the bath will be used - with a basket filled to the fill line. The main yardstick in deciding the suitability of a particular bath therefore needs to be the internal dimensions of the wire basket. (The depth of the bath is also shallower than the external height suggests, as the electronics are housed beneath the bath).

Here are the features of the Allendale '20 Litre' bath:

Transducer Power 400 Watts. (20 Watts per Litre). Heater Power 500 Watts.
  • Tank Size: 495 (19.5”) x295 (11.6”) x 150mm (6”)
  • Basket Internal Dimensions: L 465mm (18.31”) x W270mm (10.63”) x H110mm (4.33”)
  • Degas mode - This mode is to be used after a fluid change to rapidly remove air from the fluid so it can provide maximum cleaning effectiveness from the start of the cleaning cycle.
  • Delicate mode - The cleaner runs at half power which provides a less aggressive cleaning action for fragile/delicate items.
  • Full-power mode - A powerful deep clean that will clean heavily contaminated items
  • Temperature and Timing mode - Allows the user to set both the fluid temperature and duration of the cleaning cycle
Price of the bath is £477.85. The basket is extra: £23.46:

Professional 20 Litre Digital Cavitek Ultrasonic Cleaner Tank with Heated Bath -220V

Hope that's of interest.

David.

Latest posts

Back