Ultra-fine handcut dovetails: A very very serious Tutorial

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been disappointed in the quality of some of the dovetails I have seen on here in the last few months, so I thought I ought to put together a little tutorial showing you chaps how it is done.

Firstly, it is really important to have good quality stock to work with..........square edged, straight and even grained, with no cupping or bowing. Here is what I have chosen to work with for this lesson:

3517552289_78cbc6159d.jpg

This timber has been specially matured for 10 years or more, and is ideal for the job.

Prepare your boards and mark out which piece goes where. There was a little edge-jointing to do here first.....I aimed to work to a precision of plus or minus a hairs breadth:

3518363328_441e87d0c3.jpg

Here is a close up of one of the ends, carefully prepared.

3517552699_feb71baf82.jpg

Mark out your tails first, trying to make them as small, neat and unobtrusive as possible, with an angle of about.........that much, or a bit less:

Start cutting, on the waste side of the line. I contemplated using a Japanese Tanawagochi-sushi but decided that the £4.95 Ridgeons special was more suitable:

3518363710_cce4d7e34d.jpg

To remove the waste, I couldn't make up my mind between an English pattern coping saw with 230 teeth per inch and a titantium bow, or a Lie-Veritas-Valley-Faberge jewellery saw with 230 teeth per micron and brass instruction plates. In the end I settled for a Hitachi on the second most pendulous setting, and a blade only slightly dulled by cutting some aluminium:

3518363884_0fbee369d6.jpg

There we are......job done, and only in need of a little tiffle:

3518364202_0a9579169d.jpg

For tiffling, I brought out some of the finest of my handtools from their air-conditioned Ambonya Burr cabinet, and, making sure there was no remnant of horses hoof in the teeth, gently cleaned up.........being very careful of breakout (I'd eaten lots of sultanas):

3518364478_09ea97d3af.jpg

And there we are.......tails finished:

3518364698_7e0ccb8e1c.jpg

Unfortunately, I seem to have missed the photo where I used my pure amethyst marking knife to score a completely invisible line on the end-grain.........but I have highlighted the lines in pencil especially for this photo-shoot. There simply aren't enough pixels in this format to have allowed me any other way of showing you:

So, using the same precision saw as we used for the tails, begin cutting the pins. Don't forget which side of the line you are cutting!!!!

3517553973_a3a18ef95b.jpg

Remove the waste as for the tails, only the Hitachi doesn't quite reach into the corners. Casting aside thoughts of the jewellery saw, I decided to use the one-pound-bargain-bin-special coping saw, which coped with the task manfully:

3518365032_2dc28df13b.jpg

When you have cleaned up with the same hand tools as for between the tails, gently press the pins into the tails with a smear of your twice-distilled-bears-pituatary glue. It shouldn't need clamping:

3517554567_2c6b2a5203.jpg

Remove the clamps, wash your hands and fetch the chamois leather gloves before removing our prize hand-made-by-300-year-old-dwarfs Block Plane from its silk cushion, waft it gently in the vicinity of the corners (but be careful not to leave a trace of dust on the equipment!).....

......and present your work to the Queen:

3517554871_b795f3b747.jpg

I do hope that this has been of some help to you worthy triers.

Mike

Excellent stuff and a great write up.

Of course, what we don't see is that Mike is 47' tall with hands bigger then a car roof. :wink:

Sorry Mike but I think you will be disqualified from entering this into the competiton as you did not supply a design brief first. :lol:

Bob

I`m inspired Mike. :lol: :lol:

I`ve not cut a dovetail for more years than i care to remember, but with a pile of stock timber exactly the same as yours, you`ve set me wondering :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That made me laugh Mike! and nice dove tails by the way,i quite fancy making some planters with chunky dovetails now.

:D :lol:

Joe

Mike good fun but I suspect that it was not that easy to achieve the end result.

hehe Mike's being modest. I've seen those dovetails up close and even tho they're on rough old scaffold boards, the joinery is near perfect. I'd be proud to have them in my garden!

Right, you lucky chaps.........

........if you ask me really nicely I'll release a DVD of my dovetail techniques, with a special directors cut for UKW members only.......

And next week........it's wedged through-tenons. You'll just have to contain yourselves until then!

Mike

Based on the thread title I nearly didn't read this. Had to smile at the fancy tool references. Nicely done 'tutorial' :)

Back