ultimate block plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
zoom_CT17GlamourShot.jpg

Looks like a space age F1 car...:shock:
for collectors only methinks as it would be cheaper to own two LN block planes but cool anyhow
Click here if you dare for a price

It's been posted here before but it looks far from comfortable to me. I have a (fettled) old Stanley 60 1/2 and the Veritas NX60 which is streets ahead of the LN, in my view - I sold mine when I got the NX60.

Jim

if you get one you must get it in the walnut box only $999 with the exchange rate being what it is thats about £30 isnt it?

bugbear":34emhga7 said:
It looks like it wants to know where Sarah Connor is.
Heh. I was reminded of my formative years with "Technic" Lego. Ugly barsteward anyway. Sparks no desire for ownership at all, and I speak as someone who's block plane monkey is almost as bad as the chisel one - and that's saying something.

laird":h6sng9zf said:
I like the look of it 8) . Totally impractical, but nice as an art form. :norm:

Couldn't disagree more. But I love John Economaki's weird and wacky approach to life. Who else would have invented wiggle wood? :lol:

If you're also a fan of John Economaki, follow his blog

EDIT: Apparently he gets rather pineappled off with people posting negative comments about this block plane on internet forums. Like he says, his sales figures are what tells him if his stuff is well received.

wizer":y91w0hjx said:
laird":y91w0hjx said:
I like the look of it 8) . Totally impractical, but nice as an art form. :norm:

Couldn't disagree more. But I love John Economaki's weird and wacky approach to life. Who else would have invented wiggle wood? :lol:

If you're also a fan of John Economaki, follow his blog

EDIT: Apparently he gets rather pineappled off with people posting negative comments about this block plane on internet forums. Like he says, his sales figures are what tells him if his stuff is well received.

Hey, I like it! I also like Königsegg cars. If someone gave me one of either, I'd be delighted and use it, and show it off to anyone who dropped by. But I wouldn't ever, ever buy one myself.

If others want to own one, I'll not despise or sneer -- I'd even go look at one and appreciate its workmanship. But designwise, it looks like an out-take from Independence Day and makes me chuckle every time I see it. I just can't help it.

I have visions of Will Smith thumping something cross with tentacles, lurking just under the handle.

I probably need therapy, or at least alcohol...

Tom, the term "impractical" includes, for most of us, not afforable for the task. It does not mean that it is unable to do the task.
I would purchase it, and use it with pleasure, as and art form, and not as the simplest method of doing the same job.
I own, and enjoy, original oil paintings - a print could do the same job.

Och, I know what I mean.

wizer":tiyf63ac said:
EDIT: Apparently he gets rather pineappled off with people posting negative comments about this block plane on internet forums.

'Tough Titty' to him I say. I think it's hideous and rather pointless. Still, if there's enough Muppets buying it then, good luck to him.

wizer":vpv7r4y7 said:

If (hypothetically) 95% of people think it's horrid, 5% like it and buy it, AND that's enough for him to be profitable, it wouldn't alter the fact that 95% of these hypothetical people think it's horrid.

BugBear

wizer":fyjd54e8 said:
Well then what's he whinging about? He can laugh at us all the way to the bank. :wink: But seriously, you can't expect to throw tools like this into the conservative world of woodworking and not receive some negative reaction. If he wanted to make tools that just tick the pretty boxes, I'm sure he would. But he hasn't, and with innovation comes the brickbats (please see lyrics to "They all laughed" for examples). I applaud the innovation, but I still believe I'm entitled to think it's one ugly plane.

I'm a sucker for fine engineering even if it's practicality is virtually nil owing to the cost.....

I border on finding a reason for using a LN or Clifton so this would be WAY out there in the universe of unaffordable beauty.....

It's like Concorde...you have to admire the technology and the astounding engineering problems...but as history showed...it wasn't right for the market.

I'm in the "give me one and I would look at it" camp....show it to my mates....and I am sure it gets more than enough footfall at shows...but would I use it? Nah.

Jim

Quite agree, Alf. That's how I feel about Veritas (innovators) v LN (copiers), if only Veritas could make all their planes look as good as the premium block planes, they would have the competition licked.

Jim

Latest posts

Back