UJK Parf Guide System

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcott

Established Member
Reaction score
I"ve just started making my own bench top with this system, but I haven't yet bought any dogs.

I was wondering if anyone has used the sets of 6 dogs being sold on ebay, which are 1.95 mm in diameter. If so how well do they fit in the 20 mm hole? There are some reviews saying they fit well in the Festool top, but I haven't been able to confirm the size of holes in the Festool.

Veritas dogs are 1.90 mm in diam according to their website, and these are the ones sold by Axminster.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I've bought some of them, but dropped them and now I can't find them in the shavings. :oops:
So complete rubbish - going back for the 19.5mm ones instead. :roll:

Seriously, I bought a set of Parf dogs (the tall ones) and the shorter ones (Veritas's originals). They work together. And truthfully I haven't used them yet, as I'm waiting to drill out a new benchtop. So I can only tell you about the quality.

They're nicely made (and stainless). They look like they'll be very useful. I'm aiming for a Valchromat 'grid-of-holes' top from Axminster (their take on the MFT idea), which will be their main place of use, but my new benchtop will have 20mm holes for them too.

Inexpensive, well made, simple and sensible. I just need some time to get on with the benchtop(s). And I'll be a happy bunny, :D

E.

PS: not sure about the value of the M8 threads, but better to have them than not.

Eric The Viking":2e8mjzzf said:
I've bought some of them, but dropped them and now I can't find them in the shavings.

Have you tried a magnet on a stick, or were they so loose you can't be bothered to look for them? :-D

A big thank you to those who stayed up late last night to help me with my mm.

I'll try again with a bigger effort to get my measurements correct.

Would I be better getting dogs with 19.95 mm diam or 19.90 mm diam to fit a 20 mm hole in a bench top?

Hello,

I doubt .050 of a mm makes a h'apeth of difference. The drill you use to make the holes will not make a hole with that tight a tolerance. However, the Veritas ones are very well manufactured and hardly expensive. The question is, whether you'd take a chance on a knock off version being as good. I'd get the Veritas.

Mike.

The Veritas ones are quite shiny...

... sorry, I'll behave!

You're pushing them in the same direction in the two holes. As long as the holes themselves enter squarely into the work surface and are accurately positioned either sort should do. I'd steer clear of aluminium ones for two reasons - they'll mark things eventually (unless they're really well anodised), and will actually damage quite easily, for example if dropped onto concrete (wot the floor of my workshop is).

But honestly, the Veritas ones are sensibly inexpensive, and neat & tidy.

And quite shiny :)

Back