Udentified wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was recently given some wood from an old barn. I think it was originally the stock of an old wheelwright. I have planed it yesterday and was surprised to find that it wasn't oak, but I'm not sure what it is. Any ideas:?

Cheers Frggy.

Thanks for your replies guys. The consensus seems to be Elm but the red oak would make more sense in one respect as I know it is grown locally, but I believe it is only used for coffins and I can't see a wheelwright using it. Elm is a suprise as I thought it was a lighter colour and I didn't know there was any grown locally. Now I have to decide what to do with it as I can't use it for the job I had intended which requires oak!

Thanks again, Froggy.

the first pic colour isn't quite right for the Elm I have. But of course that means nowt - cameras don't always tell the truth colour-wise, do they? Grain pattern is Elm for sure though. I suppose when it has been left for some time, as mine has, the colour may change somewhat.

IME Elm smells kinda dampish. Again, that may just be the timber I have in particular. I could easily tell my Elm from my Oak by the smell.

Not much help, am I? Of course what we really want to know is how you sharpen your chisels! :lol:

Caz

Edited to add - I am colour blind. Ignore everything I said! Except the smell bit - I'm like one of them superheroes - 'cos my eyes are so rubbish I can smell a bit of oak from a hundred yards!

Alright Mark, I'll bob all 5 planks in the post :D
Carol you're right about the colour in the picture. I'll take another pic today in a better light and if it comes out alright I'll post it. By the way that's a great super power for a woodworker :)

Wheel hubs were made from Elm exclusively because of its reluctance to split. The hub holds all the spokes that come out in all directions.

Much as the Elm seats of Windsor chairs act as the centre, key point of the chair frame holding all the back struts as well as the legs.

Froggy":1hxn1r9l said:
Thanks for your replies guys. The consensus seems to be Elm but the red oak would make more sense in one respect as I know it is grown locally, but I believe it is only used for coffins and I can't see a wheelwright using it. Elm is a suprise as I thought it was a lighter colour and I didn't know there was any grown locally. Now I have to decide what to do with it as I can't use it for the job I had intended which requires oak!

Thanks again, Froggy.

That's what they used in the UK for coffins in days gone by....elm.

Just to add to the confusion I have found another unknown (to me) wood type in this pile I had given! I have taken another pic in better light:

The wood on the left is oak, for comparison. The wood on the right is the piece that most people say is Elm and the one in the centre is something else!! Any ideas. It's actually a bit more jaundice looking than in the photo if that helps.

Thanks again Tim.

P.S. Thanks Chris (Mr. T) for your YouTube offering on how to build a router table. I made one based on that. I'll send you a photo.

Thanks Phil and Pete. Dave I'm not sure I know what you mean, sorry! But I do have some Ash and it doesn't look anything like that. Having said that I have two different types of Cherry in stock that look completely different from each other.

Latest posts

Back