U-Pol Isopon Zinc 182 Anti-Rust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you referring to U-Pol ex USA?
If so, I have used this for most of my machine restorations.
Have applied it to bare cast iron and always thought it a little "soft " but then I have coated it with a two pack urethane _ they used to call it " Hardnose " but now they have changed the name- I think it is made by Eastman USA. It's really hard ( and therefore a little brittle ) but the result of this self levelling paint is truely great and has lasted many years.
If you look at my post " Twisted " you will see the result on my Colchester Student 1800 - after 5 years of full-on use.
I am currently restoring my Strands Geared head drill press and will use the same paint system.

on another forum everybody rate Jotul paints....
Yes jontul paints are the bees knees, however I don't want to spend too much and the zinc in primer may stop further rusting? I'll then put underseal over the top for added protection.

Not sure this is the same as the paint system I have used ?
Try google PPC paints USA - this is where I get my paints, via an agent in Sydney
Have used these paints on machines and marine applications for about 30 years.
It can take lots of time and effort to prepare a machine for painting, so use the best paint system you can get. If you can't afford the best paint - either leave it alone or smear it in grease ! - and good luck.

Underselling will create voids for rust to develop.

This chap lives in the USA rust belt and know how the protect vehicles. Nb what they call bar oil is chainsaw oil over here.

I need to add a correction to my earlier input.

U.POL is a UK paint - it was my mistake because I bought it through an agent that sells paints ex USA. I used Acid #8 which is an anti-corrosive etch primer.
The top coats were done with POR 15 which is ex USA.
Originally this was called " Hardnose " but some marketing genius re-branded it as 2K Urethane - same paint - now that's what you call a smart piece of marketing !! ???

Back