Tyme Avon Start up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benmitchell423

Reaction score
Hi All, new here. I have been offered a Tyme Avon by a friend and it is something that i am interested in. I went to have a scan today and it wouldnt run. Plugged in and changed the fuse but nothing. Is there anything i was missing, couldnt see a reset button on the switch etc? Switch looked to be wired in etc but couldnt get it to start. Might just be a dodgy switch but didnt have chance to check out much further> was i being stupid and missing something obvious? Thanks Ben

The Avon is great basic lathe.
It sounds like either the switch is broken or the starting capacitor has failed. Popping in a new capacitor is probably the best first option. Easy enough to do if you're experienced and confident with mains wiring, but don't try it if you're not.
The whole motor and switch unit is easy to take off the headstock. Fully remove the locking handle that adjusts the position of the motor and it should just slide out once the drive belt is loosened. You could then just pass that assembly to an electrician for repair.
Probably not worth paying much to repair as they sell for bargain basement prices on eBay.

Agree the Avon is a seriously underrated lathe, IMHO. And agree with Rhossydd's diagnosis.
The Avon is a clever design with the diamond + square bed bars for accurate location, swivel head and reasonable power. Obviously, it's only an alloy head, but bolted to the thickest piece of chipboard/MDF that you can find/afford, it's rigid enough for anything within reason. Also got the option to extend the bed, so you can turn up to about 5 feet between centres. Very handy for making pitchfork handles!
The only reason I changed mine for the Mystro was not the cast iron head of the latter, but the interchangeability of chucks etc. with the Super 7 metal lathe that lives at the other end of the workshop. And while the Avon has a simple, easily and cheaply replaceable foot-mounted motor, the flange mounted one on the Mystro is a bit of a pig.

Back