Two new additions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogggyTown

Established Member
Reaction score
I am presently "between projects" so I'm taking the opportunity to play with my shop layout. In doing so I found that I actually had some spare room - so I quickly filled it with this bobbin sander

2rwojzt.jpg

and this scroll saw

24g6rzn.jpg

(A woodworking shop abhores empty space. )

They are both just entry-level units but my small scale doesn't need much machine sophistication.

How do you find that Woodstar bobbin sander?????

I've thought about buying one of those, as I can't really afford to spank £300 on a Jet.

Cheers

Karl

yep also interested how you get on with the bobbin. The table is smaller than the charnwood and does not tilt. But it looks like the DE is better.

wizer":1d54qxdx said:
The table is smaller than the charnwood ....

I thought about that too, but you could quite easily add a larger table on top of the existing one, albeit with sacrificing a bit of the sanding capacity.

Cheers

Karl

yep and as yet I haven't come across a reason for having the table tilt.

Also interested in how you get on with that bobbin, is it just me or have they got too much table at the back and not enough at the front?

I've been spoiled by having access to a big Wadkin at the college, though they do also have a Jet sized Axminster which works very well - square table

I've only had a little play time so far but my initial impessions are that it does what it says on the tin. Sturdy and weighty enough to keep still, but light enough to maneuver.

Ironballs - you are right in that the front of the table is smaller than the back but if a larger front is needed for something, there's no reason you can't turn the unit back to front! Also no reason you can't sand with the bobbin between you and the piece.

Good job they're not bolted down...you'd be in trouble if you needed to drill a bit of wood 4' long in the drill press - Rob

FogggyTown":35waue1k said:
...the front of the table is smaller than the back but if a larger front is needed for something, there's no reason you can't turn the unit back to front! Also no reason you can't sand with the bobbin between you and the piece.

You're quite right. Surely, you need to rotate the machine to gain access to the dust extraction port anyway, wouldn't you? :wink:

I'm intrigued to see that the Woodstar model allows you to bolt it down to a 'bench, if you so intended. With the Jet BOS-5, you don't have this option. It has rubber feet, which prevent it from sliding about but, that may not be ideal if you wanted to mount it on to a mobile cabinet base on wheels.

The surface finish on your machine looks kind of rough - maybe it's just the camera? If you wanted less friction, you could go over it lightly with some fine wet and dry paper and then apply a coat or two of Liberon's lubricating wax, which would also help prevent rust from forming. :wink:

Latest posts

Back