two hollow forms from today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
hello folks here are two hollow forms i've made today
the wood is beech but it seems to have gone dark instead of spalting (a new one on me) there was a light patch in the centre of the log (which is the area on the forms) and a 1"ring around the outside which had spalted but the majority has just gone dark.
do i still say its spalted? in theory it has been affected by a fungus of some sort???
what do you think?

the first one

P1020772.jpg

P1020773.jpg

P1020775.jpg

P1020779.jpg

the second one (looks better in the flesh)
P1020781.jpg

P1020785.jpg

P1020786.jpg

P1020787.jpg

a group pic
P1020790.jpg

Certainly dark for Beech George, seen that intense colour regularly in local Ash but not so pronounced in Beech, presume due to the evenness that it took the colour or chemical infusion whilst still growing.

Well George to my untrained eyes they look good :?
Love the browny colour,the half and half colouring and shape.
Just wondering if the colouring is down to your liquid feed you give them,as it might have just gone on the one side and penetrated:?: :?

it was definatley normal beech colour when i bought it and stored it away. that beech i brought to the bash was/is from the same batch and that was normal spalted beech.

this piece was from the same log
P1020732.jpg

i suppose it just shows the many varied facets wood can take

I have a piece of beech that's done that. I'll dig it out tomorrow and take a pic.

Very nice forms George.

Hi George,

I have heard that the colour of the beech wood itself can vary quite a bit due to the quality/composition of the local soil that it grew in. It wouldn't seem to be a likely explanation in this case given the other piece. I also have a suspicion that different fungi will result in different effects on the wood, but have no idea really. I suppose that another possibility is that the odd part of the wood was at a different stage of the decomposition process (although that would suggest that it is a stage that is not frequently encountered).

Cheers,

Dod

Hi George,

Very David Ellsworth in shape. A little square for my taste but great work none the less!

The closest comparison I can come up with on the colouring is like Brown Oak, which is the beefsteak fungus. Not sure if this is even compatible with Beech but it certainly looks similar. I think its a pretty nice effect even so. How did it work? Did it affect the wood in any way other than it's colour?

Richard

Richard Findley":2xtfgiea said:
How did it work? Did it affect the wood in any way other than it's colour?

Richard

It was firmer to work with than full on spalted beech and has a slight stagnent smell to it!! the outside of the log was coverd with those rusty ball shaped growths aswell.

Hi George

I went to a new club last night and the discussion of Southern beech was brought up. In this case southern beech if very hard and looks like cherry when cut into. So where it grows obviously has a big effect on the interior structure/colour etc.

Never heard of it myself, just goes to show there is much to learn, which is great or it will get boring.

I like these forms and the wood adds some great interest. The kick up is great too. :lol: :lol: Sorry mate could not resist.

cornucopia":1otcwmc2 said:
mark sanger":1otcwmc2 said:
The kick up is great too.

I think you'll find its a rim Mark- :roll: :twisted: :p

:duno:

what ever matey, they look very nice as it flows the line up from the shoulder.

:wink:

mark sanger":3fehlp8x said:
Hi George

I went to a new club last night and the discussion of Southern beech was brought up. In this case southern beech if very hard and looks like cherry when cut into. So where it grows obviously has a big effect on the interior structure/colour etc.

Never heard of it myself, just goes to show there is much to learn, which is great or it will get boring....

Living in the Cotswolds we have a good selection of Beech in local woodland which is pale in colour and 'standard' in texture when cut, (spalts readily) however on my property there are two hedges of Beech which when in leaf look identical but they are obviously of totally different cultivars because leaf dieback in the autumn and more significant bud break in the spring is up to 3 weeks apart.

Back